Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Ok, i have been following this thread for quite some time... like more than a year, and this "disabling read caching and command queuing" is new... why are you disabling it, and how?

See THIS post on previous page...So Soundx98 has another thanks from OG :D

Glad it helped you too OG

Actually been brought up a few times.

Seems to work especially well on the WD drives.

Under device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA controllers>"Uncheck" Enable Read Caching and Command Queing.

Reboot and let 'er fly

Glad it helped you too OG

Actually been brought up a few times.

Seems to work especially well on the WD drives.

Under device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA controllers>"Uncheck" Enable Read Caching and Command Queing.

Reboot and let 'er fly

OK OK OK, and why are we doing this again?

Also, does this "uncheck Enable Read Caching" works for other nVidia SATA controllers??

I have the signature computer, but also I have another one with nF3 Ultra chipset with two HDD's in RAID... Device Manager Serial ATA Controller window is identical, except it only has two options and both are checked: Let Bios select transfer mode and Enable write caching.

Benchmarking is the only way to tell which settings are better for your rig.

You are right, will have to try on both systems... will post the findings.

Guest thespin

Ist try at Raid. I don't believe I can get any better scores with the Adaptec 29320ALP-R HostRaid PCI-X Adapter which doesn't play well on the PCI 33Mhz slot (max 132MB/sec). It really sucks when my Hitachi 7200K SATAII drive scores BURST rates of 220+MB/sec.

But I am satisfied. I certainly am not going to spring for a PCIe SCSI adapter starting at about $380. :0

Array is OS drive with default NTFS 4K format.

atto112scsiraid091206rn7.jpg

hdtach102scsiraid0091206lm0.jpg

Will update my sig soon ...

You are right, will have to try on both systems... will post the findings.

Ok, test on the DFI rig result: same speeds according to ATTO... minor diference at low size transfers (top of the chart), but that was all. Tried disabling both Write Caching and Command Queuing... one enabled the other disabled, one disabled the other one enabled, and results were pretty much the same. Left it running with both disabled with two instances of [email protected] and system crashed after 12 hours... not sure why but I think this had something to do with that.

I have pics of the results with and with out those settings... but they are so similar I am not going to cause more forum bandwith leaks with them :(

Reboot and let 'er fly

I dont see that under that... Is it a raid only thing...?

I see 3 primary IDE channel

3 seconday IDE channel

3 standard dual channel PCI IDE controller

Just like that but 3 of each and nothing under properties...

I see nothing any where for Nvidia sata controller.... maybe I need to install one...but the nvidia sata is working...I have my H/D plugged into it...and get 61mb/s speeds from a sata II drive....??

Did you test disableing (unchecking) "Enable Read Caching"?

Yep, also unchecked Command Queuing... and i tried with one checked the other unchecked, and the other way around and the ATTO results were nearly the same. The best performance came from both checked because at smaller values the bandwith was nearly twice faster.

Be Carefull with this one, This card and two 7600GS will not play together at 8-4-nc-8, but DFI, HighPoint, EVGA, Nvidia are all trying to figure out why, (But not very hard).

This was done on my machine, at 8-4-nc-8 with one video card, but the settings left at 8-4-nc-8 so I can have 8 lanes on the video and 4 on the Raid card, it's respectable for a 130.00 RAid 5 Solution.

Now, i have to figure out how to make the image inline.

I think I finally got the ULI controller sorted out..

8mb.jpg

32mb.jpg

25613223017.jpg

read ahead and cq off.

after full testing i found a 8k stripe was best perforance , but i decided to go with the 16k as it had slightly smaller performace drop,

but when i went to a 32+ stripe burst went to 150, atd sustained went to 100, big drop in speed via benchmark.

(when i was using 2 in stripe, 32k stripe was the go...)

i have the resaults

will post them soon.

p.s 3 drive are the curent model (wd360gd-00fla2) and 1 a oofna0) (a non command q drive)