hard drives & raid - benchmark and compare!

Angry_Games

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, finally got my SATA2 2 disk raid array set up last night. Take a tip from me, dont drink and install os and raid array!

Everything is awesome, love these drives, but I think somethings wrong with them.......

hddtach0ru.jpg

I thought it might be a fluke but I tested them about 20 times, but this is what I get every single time

:nod::shake::nod:

====================================================

EDIT: This is with 32kx4k stripe/cluster size. I changed the cluster size to 8k and noticed no difference whatsoever in speed, burst or transfer rate. The only difference I saw was a 1% drop in CPU utilization with the 8k cluster. I'm still not sure why the burst speed is so high. The only thing I can think of is that in the Hitachi feature tool I set the idle speed higher and left the Acoustic Control disabled.

====================================================

I think my lights in my house even turn on faster now!!!

For the price of 2 Hitachis, these r unbeatable. Way faster than the SATA drives I had before!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cloud_171

my 4th hitachi finally came in! Had to send it to hitachi since the sata bracket broke, but one question how do you change the cluster size? Here are some benches

I've got a set of WD2500KS. Have just been trying to work out what the best setup is with them. Benchmark of the default settings:

How do you show images in your posts?? Thanks.

EDIT: (thanks ExRoadie)

optimum%20default.JPG

Paul

How do you show images in your posts?? Thanks. Paul

Most people host the files on their web space or a free service then use the tag to display them.

When building a post you can use the "preview post" button to see what it look like.

So I finally got round to setting up a Raid array of my own. Never done much work on Raid before, First run after setting up a clean XP (forgot to defrag first though) So I guess these are pretty raw results for now.

Everything is set default at the moment, 64K Stripe + NTFS Default

atto.jpg

hdslow.jpg

hdfast.jpg