dfi 875 lanparty pro 875b / performance mode?

i added 2x256 bh5 to the 2x256 bh5 i already had. when i checked cpu-z memory info it states that [performance mode] is disabled.

is it suppose to be that way when running all 4 dimm slots and or how can i change it to [enabled]?

when i added the extra 2x256 bh5 it did not like to run 1:1, but running 5:4 was no prob. even overcloced a 3.0 to 3314. stable.

When i put sticks of ram next to each other and go to single channel mode, The cpu z tells me performance mode is disabled.

When i put the ram in corresponding dual channel mode slots. The cpu z says that performance mode is enabled. This is why I question whether or not dual channel is performance mode. I am not making any changes in the bios, Just moving my ram to single channel or dual channel slots on the motherboard.

Hi Budster. Performance mode is a perk of 875 chipsets. They are different I can assure you. I have a 865 chipset which can run performance mode if set right with the right ram and can see a difference in benchies. I do know that 875 will not run performance mode with 4 dimms. You would need to read the intel whitepaper to see what enables performance mode

Originally posted by Budster

When i put sticks of ram next to each other and go to single channel mode, The cpu z tells me performance mode is disabled.

When i put the ram in corresponding dual channel mode slots. The cpu z says that performance mode is enabled. I question whether or not dual channel is performance mode.

Dual channel and performance mode are not the same thing. You can have dual channel and not have performance mode. Dual channel lets you mem run in a double bandwith configuration. Performance mode refers to Intels Performance Acceleration Technology (PAT). It is a memory thing that short circiuts some steps to speed up your memory. It is only native to the Intel 875 chipset. It only works when your mem is in dual channel.

mckennaiii

You have just run across one of those instance where you can have dual channel enable but PAT (performance mode) disabled. According to the Intel White Papers, PAT should be turned on with 4 sticks of mem in dual channel just like it is with 2 sticks of mem in dual channel. In the real word, it doesn't seem to work that way. Wandering around various forums it has become apparent that 4 sticks of mem will turn off PAT with some mem on some mobos. The problem seems to be that there is no rhyme or reason to when it is turned off and when it isn't. There are ppl with the exact same mem on the exact same mobo with 4 sticks of mem and one will have PAT enabled and the other does not.

If anyone gets to the bottom of it, it will be an interesting puzzle.

Also, mckennaiii, when you run 4 sticks of mem, you prolly are going to lose a lot on your OC. Not because there is anything wrong with your mobo or mem. It's just that 4 sticks of mem put a huge load on your mem controller. So you prolly won't be able to OC them very well.

Thanks for the info. Now for the BIG question. I cannot find a place in the bios to turn of or enable the pat. The only way i can turn off performance mode--i.e. pat is running my memory single channel. Am i missing something here or is it in the bios and I cannot find it. Or as long as i am in dual channel performance is enabled and when i am in single channel performance mode is disabled? Not trying to argue- just want to understand. Cause it seems dual channel and performance mode goes hand in hand. Soon as i kick the memory into single channel mode the performance mode is disabled. So is it possible to be in dual channel with performance disabled?