OCZ 3700EB No More!!!

Originally posted by Bridgeboy

My god, you aren't kidding. I just got done reading both those articles. I actually had just ordered the OCZ plat. Rev 2 right before I read your post. But now I'm tempted to cancel teh order and order the PQI instead. I mean they got up to 285 FSB on only the stock 2.6v. My only reservation is that it was only tested on a P4 sytem and not A64. However, since it has the same Sammy OCCD memory chips I guess it should do great on the A64 as well, right?

Damn.....decisions, decisions......I'll save about $34 going with this PQI..........I think I may cancel teh OCZ order and order the PQI.....anybody see any reason why I shouldn't?

Actually yes. ;) Because OCZ has the west damn support and warranty in the business!!! Go to www.bleedinedge.com and visit OCZ support forum and see for yourself :) If you ask me the OCZ is well worth $35 more.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were my money, I would choose the Rev 3...it should do excellent. I've heard some very good things about it over at Xtremesystems.org... there are a couple of guys from OCZ who beta test for various other vendors *cough*DFI*cough* who have used the Rev 3 on the 250GB... take a look at the threads there, this should help your decision :) best of luck

*EDIT*

as funny as this may be, I see Anandtech has a review of some of the Rev 3 http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2215

enjoy

Thanks for all your replies!

malinois1: Thanks for the added encouragement. I think you are right.....I am sticking with the proven and more well known OCZ Plat Rev. 2 that I already ordered. Although that article at systemcooling sure makes the PQI tempting given the results, doesn't it? ;)

jagt: Yeah, I checked Ebay...nothing listed.... :(

whymeintrouble: You may be right, but like others have said it is a close call. I actually talked to a tech guy at OCZ and he thought it was a close toss up hinself, but thought I might have a slightly better chance of slightly better performance out of the Plat. Rev. 2 given that I have extreme cooling and should get the FSB OC'd pretty high....and the lower timings would help he thought.... :confused:

Originally posted by Bridgeboy

Thanks for all your replies!

malinois1: Thanks for the added encouragement. I think you are right.....I am sticking with the proven and more well known OCZ Plat Rev. 2 that I already ordered. Although that article at systemcooling sure makes the PQI tempting given the results, doesn't it? ;)

jagt: Yeah, I checked Ebay...nothing listed.... :(

whymeintrouble: You may be right, but like others have said it is a close call. I actually talked to a tech guy at OCZ and he thought it was a close toss up hinself, but thought I might have a slightly better chance of slightly better performance out of the Plat. Rev. 2 given that I have extreme cooling and should get the FSB OC'd pretty high....and the lower timings would help he thought.... :confused:

Well the PQI has been known to clock well if you follow the OCFourums thread. A couple of months ago when it was going for 185-200 a gig I would have said go for it. But at 250 a gig I say go for OCZ. The good thing about the Rev 2 is if your CPU is FSB limited you can run 2-2-2 timings then you can loosen timings and run hi FSB if the CPU allows. Pretty much I would call it a universal memory!!!

P.S. I have some 3500EB I would be more than happy to trade to you when your memory comes in ;) The bandwidth is awesome with it and it clocks OK but the heat is a pain.

Originally posted by malinois1

Well the PQI has been known to clock well if you follow the OCFourums thread. A couple of months ago when it was going for 185-200 a gig I would have said go for it. But at 250 a gig I say go for OCZ. The good thing about the Rev 2 is if your CPU is FSB limited you can run 2-2-2 timings then you can loosen timings and run hi FSB if the CPU allows. Pretty much I would call it a universal memory!!!

I'd say I agree with that pretty much 100%. About the same thoughts I had when I decided to just stick with the OCZ3200PV2....;after reading your first post of course. Only $35 more for a lot of more well known security.......the PQI could possibly do even better, but what if I get a set that doesn't? What if they all don't do that good? What about the support? The RMA policy? Etc......the PQI would have been a much easier sell at the $170 that the review at Tweaktown was based on....but at $250 why take the chance?...it may be proven down the line that its not much of a chance...but I'll let others prove it.....

Originally posted by dreiu

So what IC's do the EB's have anyway? They sure as heck arent the sammy's are they? Hynx maybe? I am wondering if I should sell them for some chips with the Sammy IC's... now I am confused :D :confused:

Hmmm....well, I'll certainly be in the running if you want to sell your 3700 EB's!!!.......:D