OCZ 3700EB No More!!!

Hi guys-

I have all my parts for a new computer on the way, and my DFI LANPARTY UT nF3 250Gb just shipped out yesterday. However, like a cheap-butt fool that I can sometimes be...lol...I waited too long to buy some OCZ 3700EB memory. I was waiting for some more matched 1-gig kits to become available again, and now I can't find any types available (I wanted a matched kit in case I upgrade to a dual-channel system in the future). It has been missing from price searches for quite awhile now so I called OCZ today. They informed me that they will no longer be making this memory!!! He said “they” changed the die on them and they can no longer get the chip that they use in that memory. This memory had been pretty much unaminously considered the best OC'ing memory for this board from everything I have read; but now that it is no longer available can anyone recommend what they think the "next best" memory would be? I would prefer a matched 1-gig kit.

Thanks for any replies!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, that OCZ 3700 Gold Rev. 3 seems like a good performer at a pretty good price. And boy, you sure are on top of things....that article is dated today!

I will be using this system for OC'ing and playing the latest games, so I will need at least 1-gig of ram.

I'll see if anyone else has any more suggestions before I dive in and purchase something. I had been whole-heartedly planning on that OCZ 3700EB for so long I am virtually devastated that I didn't buy it before now......

Originally posted by Bridgeboy

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, that OCZ 3700 Gold Rev. 3 seems like a good performer at a pretty good price. And boy, you sure are on top of things....that article is dated today!

I will be using this system for OC'ing and playing the latest games, so I will need at least 1-gig of ram.

I'll see if anyone else has any more suggestions before I dive in and purchase something. I had been whole-heartedly planning on that OCZ 3700EB for so long I am virtually devastated that I didn't buy it before now......

Well, dont be devastated... technology comes, and it goes. If I was sto buy new ram at the moment, I would definitely go for that Gold rev3. Let us know what you decide to do. :)

Originally posted by dreiu

Well, dont be devastated... technology comes, and it goes. If I was sto buy new ram at the moment, I would definitely go for that Gold rev3. Let us know what you decide to do. :)

Ok, thanks for the encouragement! It looks like you have given some good advice. So far it looks like a choice between these two:

The OCZ PC-3700 Gold. Rev. 3:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....TC-pr1c3grabb3r

Or the OCZ PC- 3200 EL Platinum Rev. 2:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc....TC-pr1c3grabb3r

Both are about the same price for all practical purposes.....but which do I get???? Just so you know, I will be cooling an A64 3200+ [CG] DTR chip with an Asetek Vapochill LS. So I should get a pretty nice CPU OC, in which case I'm thinking the Plat. Rev. 2 memory might do better at lower timings....what do you think? The Anandtech articles had the Plat. Rev. 2 getting to DDR 557 and the Gold Rev. 3 got to DDR 546, both at 2.85 volts.

Well... if you go with the PC3700, you already have 233mhz guaranteed. Don't be so worried about timings, as the A64's arent so anal about it as the XP's are.

Anandtech go the pc3700 up to 290fsb, which is really good. Of course this does not mean that everyone will have these results, but with this motherboard, we have so many options to mess with.. I think it is doable.

They got the pc3200 around the 280ish fsb mark, so same goes for this ram.

This would be a hard decision to make, but I would shoot for the 370's 00 gold rev3's... they use the same Hynx chips that the Gold PC4000rev2's use, and those have been good OCers. They get my vote. If you want to read more about them, visit that article at anandtech I linked (the one dated for today).

Both are excellent choices; however, if you have the extra 10 to spare (and I'm sure you do) go for the EL Rev. 2. This memory uses the Samsung TCCD chips which are currently known to be the fastest and most stable IC for Athlon 64 motherboards. Both sets of ram are great, but one's just a tad better.

deception``

Originally posted by deception``

Both are excellent choices; however, if you have the extra 10 to spare (and I'm sure you do) go for the EL Rev. 2. This memory uses the Samsung TCCD chips which are currently known to be the fastest and most stable IC for Athlon 64 motherboards. Both sets of ram are great, but one's just a tad better.

deception``

So the sammy's better than the Hynx (Well no in general, these two particular IC's)? In that case, sure, go for the EL rev 2. :)

any memory using the TCCD Samsung chips on the modules are the best for the NF3 250Gb we make.

regardless of brand, just like bh5, for the most part, anything containing these TCCD chips is going to perform the best for overclocking.

OCZ/Mushkin of course are the first that come to mind...but you can also ask Buffalo Tech if they have any modules with the TCCD Samsungs on them. Buffalo tends to be every bit as good as any other memory and usually at a lower cost.

Originally posted by LowRun

I for shure would like to get my hands on some of this stuff

http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/pqi3200/

http://www.systemcooling.com/pqi_turbo_pc3200-01.html

My god, you aren't kidding. I just got done reading both those articles. I actually had just ordered the OCZ plat. Rev 2 right before I read your post. But now I'm tempted to cancel teh order and order the PQI instead. I mean they got up to 285 FSB on only the stock 2.6v. My only reservation is that it was only tested on a P4 sytem and not A64. However, since it has the same Sammy OCCD memory chips I guess it should do great on the A64 as well, right?

Damn.....decisions, decisions......I'll save about $34 going with this PQI..........I think I may cancel teh OCZ order and order the PQI.....anybody see any reason why I shouldn't?