Anyone up for a post a pic of yourself thread?

elts_drac

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SuPeR, Travis! Thanks for the update, man!

BTW, speaking of firepower (this is my weapon, this is my gun, this one's for fightin', this one's for fun...ah, nevermind) enclosed for your viewing pleasure; brother John's vice:

http://www.johndawson.org/shooting/shooting4fun.html

The uhh...koff...long range site is my favorite...koff.

Charles

I hope you are not draggin parts on the R1. If it is theFJ you ned to increase the preload or shim the rear. Seriously that is not safe. This is coming from a guy that does some really stupid thingsie 300KMPH on the street.

I've only dragged the can and right/left pegs on the R1. I've got suspension setup with proper sag/preload/compression, rebound damping, et al. I've been riding motorcycles for 35 years, 20 of those with high-performance sport bikes, starting with the original Kawasaki Ninja; ZX900A2, '85 model. I waited 'til '85, as the '84 had some issues that needed worked-out. Before that, I regularly scared the crap out of myself on the Kawasaki "H" series 3-cylinder two strokes, both the 500 and 750. And yes, the FJR suffers from lack of cornering clearance. It is a shame, the bike wants, no begs to be ridden like a sportbike, but it was still built with the cornering clearance of a sports-tourer.

I live in an area that has some of the best sportbike roads in the country! Yes, I do ride quickly in the corners, and slow down on the straights. We have some tight twisties that you only need 1st and 2nd gears, occasionally 3rd. It's very easy to reach cornering clearance limits on these roads, even on my R1.

Charles

You should come down and visit me and Cobia on the Gulf Coast of Mississippi then make a run over to Natchez along the old roads through the national forrest.

I made the run once on a bike and it was the closest thing to a natural rollercoaster I've ever seen.

It's a hell of a lot of fun in a hot car but you end up using a lot of the road in a car.

You get elevation changes of over 60 feet and inclines of almost 50 degrees on some of them.

There are deep sweepers with both increasing and decreasing radii. You top some hills at speed and the bottom seems to fall out to a tight corner at the bottom.

Great riding!

I'll keep that in mind, Ex! The pig trail here in AR has several off-camber, downhill, decreasing radius corners that are just wicked. Many a rider has been taken by surprise by them. Very technical, and demanding road. Hairpin switchbacks that are so wicked, 20 mph is pushing it. The exits seem nearly straight-up, prompting one to lean over the front of the bike to keep it from looping. Hitting the hairpins from the opposite direction, you feel like you are flying into the bottom of an abyss, suspension nearly bottomed when you hit the apex of the corner!

Charles