Boot Time Slowed Down On My New Build

I'm new on the site and thought this would be the best place to ask for advice.

my new build:

-Intel Pentium 4 631 Cedar Mill 3.0GHz LGA 775 Single-Core Processor Model BX80552631

-G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

-ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

-OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

-MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

-GIGABYTE GV-NX73G256D-RH GeForce 7300GS 512MB(256MB on Board) 64-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

-40 gig Western Digital 5400rpm - master (from old comp)

-300 gig Seagate 7200 rpm - slave

It was fast before putting in the cd drive, but boot time slowed down after installing it. The cd drive was the last thing to be installed because I ordered it after building my computer. I've defragged both drives and am pretty much stuck. The general performance of my computer is also slow and skips(for music) now too. Possible memory problems? Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by souichi

Ok, a few questions about your build.

What OS are you running?

What brand/model is the optical drive?

Did you install anything new before the problem started? (There might be something starting services or processes at boot.)

Have you tried removing the cdrom from the machine to see if the problem persits?

Yea remove the CD drive and see what happens. Also, i dont know if it could be a memory problem (unlikely tbh) but i would memtest those sticks anyway, you should with new memory just incase.

And i would recommend running the OS + programs off the 300gig 7200rpm drive, it will be much quicker and will speed up general performance (even if it doesnt solve your problem)

I flashed the BIOs after I installed the cd dirve because the HDs were not being recognized also.

I wounder if the bios flash has anything to do with it...

did you check and make sure that its not trying to boot from cd-rom in the bios could have something to do with it.

that'd be the most logical explanation. it may have a 10 or a 15 second timeout or something weird like that which is causing a startup delay :)

I checked and made sure that it booted from the master. The master HD is the Western Digital one, but otherwise everything is the same. I'm still transferring files on to my external before I reinstall Windows. I think it may have to do with the flashing of the BIOs, because everything was fine with the master/slave drives before the installation of the optical drive.

are the jumpers set properly on the CDROM Drive? Is the bios seeing the drive? U probably know this but a 7200RPM or even 10k RPM drive would help your system speed dramatically.