Mrboo And His Stupid "mild" Overclocking Troubles Again

Oh man...

Unlucky, you are...

Edit: At least you know what's the problem now...

Re-Edit: My mobo is also booting twice sometimes and it disables CPU host clock control, as well as RAM Ratio back on auto, but anything else remains.

Edited by The Smith

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think they got enough TIM on there??? Looks like the NB was actually insulated, and def overheating.

I would RMA that board and get an aftermarket NS cooler. They make heatpipe ones that are offset to clear other components - I'm sure you can find one that fits. I'm quite fond of my "Republic of Gamers" heatpipe cooling on my maximus...even if it is only marginally better then a normal one stock, it performs well when reseated with AS5 - what a PITA that was though!!

Are you talking of the small white cussion around the thermal paste on the heatsink ?

Too much of any TIM, even AS5, begins to actually raise temps instead of lower. You want just enough to fill in the tiny scratches and holes allowing the most IHS/core to heatsink contact. Less is more.

Unlucky I am! Computers really seem to hate me :)

The Smith, this is what mine was doing every time I tried to overclock. No matter how small. It reboots before or shortly after POST and resets settings just like you describe.

I put the voltage controls to auto, and it did actually boot before I replaced the paste. But it set the vcore to 1.45v at 2.8GHz (stock = 1.225v @ 2.5GHz)! Completely insane. I undid that change pretty sharpish. But it has me wondering again whether it could be the RAM or CPU. I mean, the NB heatsink did get hot with that dodgy paste, so surely it must have been making contact now I think about it?

I actually appear to have it booting and staying somewhat stable at 3GHz again last night. Don't laugh, but I turned off all the power saving stuff and it was MUCH better. Though really, I believe I should be able to hold an overclock stable with that turned on, and indeed when I first got it, it was OK with all that turned on at 2.8GHz! Now it can't even do 2.8GHz with it turned on :( It managed about 4 hours (3GHz), until it rebooted according to the logs. So, I mean, it's still not 100% right really. Doing the old rebooting tricks again :( I've increased the vcore from 1.250v to 1.275v to see if that helps. I'll know when I get home. I think I may try and get a refund on this board and get the P35-DS3R if it's still playing up (without the DDR3). I'll just have to hope it really is the board, and not the RAM or CPU.

There seems to be a fair few people having similar problems with this entire series of boards, so do I risk another one of these boards or go with something else... is another question. I don't exactly trust the thing right now.

Shall let you know what happens later on.

Cheers

P.S King, you seem to be right about the 2.1v thing. I noticed on the RAM sticker yesterday it actually said 2.1v! :lol:

Edited by markiemrboo

P.S King, you seem to be right about the 2.1v thing. I noticed on the RAM sticker yesterday it actually said 2.1v! :lol:

WIN! :lol:

@ Puck, nice new rig! Where are the benches and OCs in the 775 OC competition? :P

WIN! :lol:

@ Puck, nice new rig! Where are the benches and OCs in the 775 OC competition? :P

:lol:

Well lads and ladettes. It's still going!! I set it off at 6:16am this morning [apparently! I must have been 99.9% asleep because I don't remember doing it THAT early lol]. It's now ~4:36PM :) So that's, what, coming up 11 hours now. Hoorah! That's 3GHz, 400x7.5 @ 1.2775v in BIOS ( 2.16v under load!! ). RAM at 400MHz, 5-4-4-15 @ 2.1v :lol:

I hope to dear god it makes it 24 hours and then manages to actually like... play games and just be generally stable! Gimme all yer lucks dammit! :P

Nice one :) I'm still stuck at work, so you can feel even better about the fact you left an hour ago too ... lol ...

:wub: stop revising and go home! :P

Edited by markiemrboo

13 hours and 15 minutes and counting :) Starting to feel confident I can settle at 3GHz, finally :)

Notes to self (and perhaps anyone else with these boards having trouble with "mild" overclocks).

- Try increasing RAM voltage. Though 2.15v is sort of scary...

- Try +0.1v on MCH. Heard reports of +0.1v on PCI-E helps, didn't seem to do much for me.

- Try putting decent paste on the northbridge. Perhaps a different cooler or bodge a fan on there. The push pins are quite loose, so finding a nicer way to mount it would be good too (i'm thinking just bolts with plastic washers to be honest...)

- Try turning off power saving options in BIOS. EIST and that other one. I've left TM2 on and it seems OK. I may try turning on 'that other one' at some point'. I have a feeling it may be speedstep causing the issues.

- Try a tiny bit more vcore (within limits... and when you get the locking up / rebooting out of the way). Seems like with EIST on I need a lot more vcore than without to keep it stable...

- Set PCI-E clock to 100MHz manually instead of auto.

- I took the battery out while I was working on the northbridge. Try clearing the CMOS the long way?

Edited by markiemrboo

13 hours and 15 minutes and counting :) Starting to feel confident I can settle at 3GHz, finally :)

Notes to self (and perhaps anyone else with these boards having trouble with "mild" overclocks).

- Try increasing RAM voltage. Though 2.15v is sort of scary...

- Try +0.1v on MCH. Heard reports of +0.1v on PCI-E helps, didn't seem to do much for me.

- Try putting decent paste on the northbridge. Perhaps a different cooler or bodge a fan on there. The push pins are quite loose, so finding a nicer way to mount it would be good too (i'm thinking just bolts with plastic washers to be honest...)

- Try turning off power saving options in BIOS. EIST and that other one. I've left TM2 on and it seems OK. I may try turning on 'that other one' at some point'. I have a feeling it may be speedstep causing the issues.

- Try a bit more vcore (within limits..)

- Set PCI-E clock to 100MHz manually instead of auto.

- I took the battery out while I was working on the northbridge. Try clearing the CMOS the long way?

I doubt you are going to hurt the RAM running it at its spec voltage. Definitely turn off those power saving features to help with OCing, you should be ok with the PCIE on auto but it doesn't hurt to manually set it. Gald you got it working, you may be able to get some more out of it if your cooling will allow...