I Need Help Deciding Between Two Mobo's Asus Or Gigabyte

I am building a new system soon and have narrowed my choices for a mobo. Please let me know if you have any impute or recommendations. I own a ASUS now and been running strong for 5 years. I will not be going SLi and want a easy board to overclock for a noob.

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 or ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA X48

They are the same price and would like to know if you own one and your experiences with them.

I will be building this for a gaming rig. Plan on using DDR2 , Q6600 and a EVGA 9800 GTX.

Thanks for the looks

Jeff

Edited by knightsar

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the Gigabyte and a few of the reviewers have it as well its a great and solid board.

As for the Rampage there is still some bugs being worked out of it.

As far as reviews go, both have gotten some positives, though personally I'd go with gigabyte (I've had 2-3 RMA's with Asus). Other then that both seem like good boards, seen more positive's for that gigabyte though.

I would go with the Gigabyte, I have several P35s and one X38 and there decent boards. I am not sure about the Asus as I have never owned one but read a few threads where Asus owners had tried Gigabyte and said they weren't going back to Asus. Of course if you read enough you will find threads with just the opposite results. Steer clear of Abit...

Yep, for almost every company there is gonna be a couple horror stories about double RMA a board and what not. Still though, gigabyte has been putting out alot of great overclockers with great options so you can't go wrong :)

Thanks guys that is exactly what I needed to know. Looks like a Gigabyte will my new mobo. :D

Depending on the CPU you get, you may need the bios upgrade to F7B which is now finally on their site. :)

And most of those are a ID10T problem...

Well said.

Personally I would get the asus - their motherboards and graphics cards are top notch record setters these days. A *LOT* of the problems with the boards are becuase the "auto" settings in the bios are extremely aggressive, which seemingly limit the OC if you just leave them alone and just do casual fsb oc'ing. If you know what you are doing enough to get down and dirty into the bios and really tweak the advanced settings then the boards overclock like mad. I am planning on that exact board to pair with a Xeon 3110 if I do decide to upgrade now instead of waiting out till the new package intels.

When I had my 3500+ winnie it did 2.5ghz max on a vdroop and vdimm hard modded Epox board, and when I switched to this asus the same exact chip and cooler ran 24/7 at 2.6ghz and benched at almost 2.7 - no hard modding needed. My current 1.8ghz rated "baby" opteron does 2.9ghz(!) at only 1.55v, and I'm sure if I modded the board for more vcore and a vdroop mod it would be stable at 3ghz w/~1.575.

I bashed them myself in the socket A days for their overpriced and underperforming hardware, but they have really turned around and are putting out impressive overclocks and benchmarks these days.

I didn't want to say anything but I am going to say it now.

The Asus Rampage we have sitting on hold right now because its not performing where it should be. Asus is making a New Bios for us because they found a problem that is effecting performance. As of right now the Gigabyte is stomping all over it. Now with that being said for Asus to jump all over it and try and correct the problem asap impresses me alot. I am a huge fan of both Asus and Gigabyte and I always have been and prob always will :)