Help Save Xp!!!

DLS2008

I already have a B.Eng in Computer Systems Engineering, which also included Computer Architecture, VLSI design, etc etc, and Waco is right (for once, unlikes his damn onboard audio theories.... :P)

What reason could you possibly give for Vista not being able to boot at 4GHz? It's scared of the speed? :lol:

On topic, if you want XP, buy it now and shut up about it (or don't cry if you leave it too late and can't buy it)... Vista SP1 is out soon, (codename?) Vienna is supposedly coming next year, probably before all the available XP licenses in the world have been bought...

Nrg i figured you would understand!! Vista just does not boot at the clocks XP can! While this does not matter for casual 24/7 overclocks, it is a HUGE deal in benchmarking when you have to back down your 3dmark stable clocks half a ghz just to boot into the OS!

Like the example given - you can run superpi at much higher speeds then you can pass OCCT...but it is a much more serious matter when the OS itself does not like the higher speeds, because then programs you would normally be able to complete with that extra boost of speed will not even have a chance of being run if you can't get to desktop!

The software you use determines your perception of stability. If your PC is overclocked to an imaginary point where it passes every test in the world except one little program, but you NEVER run that program, then for all purposes to you it is fully stable. If your overclock can boot into XP and finish a benchmark, but with the same exact settings and just hitting a different boot menu number at startup it cannot even finish booting Vista, according to you it is not stable anymore, and only because of the OS!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

xp should be shelved, but microsoft will continue support for it for the next 5-7 years by law they have to they need not develop any more moduals etc (service packs) but they have to troubleshoot and keep it working like win98se just recently stopped being supportted officially by microsoft so that was almost 10 years so i'd say stop worrying about it when vendors see the support drying up for disk supplies then they will design propper software to work with vista, vista has improved alot over the last year, it was Fugly 1st time out i should know i was phone support for HP computers,they chose the option not to support xp if the unit came with vista and you went to xp on it as it comes with oem not all drivers were available on their website and you surrender hardwae/software support while not with original os on unit...

this pissed off alot of people but it's not what the machine was supplied with, thats like buying a porche and installing a diablo motor and wanting porche to support it of course they'll say go to hell and with good reason you've after marketed it but there is always a way to look at it and microsoft chose to let their aged slow bloat ware for a new slicker bloatware that allows them to 1 make more money and 2 minimize the piracy of their O/S es.. but as a good hacker knows how to fix that little red wagon but good lol

thats my rant now

I guess I am going to have to try this. I can boot into Vista at 4.4 Ghz. I need to try XP maybe I can get 6Ghz....

QFT

And anyway, even very few of us overclockers, already a minority, are interested in extreme, unstable overclocks

I guess I am going to have to try this. I can boot into Vista at 4.4 Ghz. I need to try XP maybe I can get 6Ghz....

lol, yeah...

Rehit, booting into Vista is a stability test in itself, it fails when you are overclocked but not when you back it down, and RR can run 4.4 GHz, so you can see that it is YOUR overclock that is the problem, not Vista...

I can run every benchmark there is on XP including 24+ hour Prime (blend, large FFT, small FFT) and 24+ hour OCCT, all 3DMarks, and I can't play Crysis unless I back the GPU/GDDR OC down... is this Crysis' fault? Or is it because my GPU/GDDR OC is too high? It's the latter, obviously...

I don't know enough about the Vista OS to tell you *why* it's harder to boot than XP, but a lot of overclockers use reaching the Vista desktop as a first stage of overclocking stability test, including myself...

Yes, for benchmarking it would be very annoying, but surely you could just disable Aero altogether and maybe use Clockgen or SetFSB once at the desktop?

I can run every benchmark there is on XP including 24+ hour Prime (blend, large FFT, small FFT) and 24+ hour OCCT, all 3DMarks, and I can't play Crysis unless I back the GPU/GDDR OC down... is this Crysis' fault? Or is it because my GPU/GDDR OC is too high? It's the latter, obviously...
QFT.

I was about to bring this up myself, so I'm glad someone else did first. Rehit, if this was your favorite game that didn't work, yet everything else did, you wouldn't blame the game, you'd lessen your OC a bit. But because you have this hatred toward Vista, you're looking at it as you want.

lol, yeah...

Rehit, booting into Vista is a stability test in itself, it fails when you are overclocked but not when you back it down, and RR can run 4.4 GHz, so you can see that it is YOUR overclock that is the problem, not Vista...

I don't know enough about the Vista OS to tell you *why* it's harder to boot than XP, but a lot of overclockers use reaching the Vista desktop as a first stage of overclocking stability test, including myself...

Yes, for benchmarking it would be very annoying, but surely you could just disable Aero altogether and maybe use Clockgen or SetFSB once at the desktop?

QFT.

I was about to bring this up myself, so I'm glad someone else did first. Rehit, if this was your favorite game that didn't work, yet everything else did, you wouldn't blame the game, you'd lessen your OC a bit. But because you have this hatred toward Vista, you're looking at it as you want.

:blink:

I can understand your logic, but from a benchmarkers point of view there is a HUGE difference in one game or bench not working and not even being able to boot into the OS :rolleyes: . The two cannot even be compared.

Of course it is is obvious it it technically the hardwares fault for not being 100% stable - but that is what extreme benching is all about, squeezing every last point from a rig until it begs for mercy :lol:. If you can't even get into the desktop then that's the end of the line right there - even if it could have ran the bench at another 500+mhz on another OS, giving a LOT more points with todays CPU limited multi-gpu systems, you will never even get the oportunity.

ORB records are not made with 24hr Prime stable OCs :typing:

they are when you are in a war... :rolleyes:

you are correct that i do hate Vista with a passion.

for me it brings nothing to the table.

i was forced to install it in order to run CrossfireX or i never would have installed it.

this is just a personal preference.

i will have to get back to you on that.

i just formatted that box and am installing XP so i can use it with the Xeon3100 in the wars.

since i have to use a lower gpu, i do not need CrossfireX.

therefore i have no use for Vista at this point...hehe.

i will see next time i load Vista if your suggestion does work.

right now the Orb scores do count. :lol: