Northboard Seems A Little Hot...

My northboard chip is hitting like 80-84 C and I dont think that is good or am I paranoid?

Thank you,

Jake

Ok well first off its not overclocked (i think) if it was it did it with out knowing or i am sleep walking again. It has a gigabyte heat sink on it and i have 3 fans on the case pointing right at it. I figured it out by Speedfan. It labeled it temp3 so i started feeling around in my comp and i touched it a said DAMN THATS HOT! Im going to reset cmos and maybe if i had OC'd it and then other than that i need a new cooler...

What could make it so hot?

EDIT: Ok well im going crazy its not the Northboard but Speedfan says theres something in there that is hot (82C)... How i know? i just reached in a felt it... but if its not that then when what else could "temp3" be? (84C)

The other are:

Temp1:30C <----Called System in my Easytune

Temp2:37C <----CPU

Temp3:84C

HD0:29C <----think you can guess;) but just in case Harddrive

Core:48C <---- Graphics Card

ambient:32C<----Not sure... think it could be related to Graphics card in less ambient is a component that i never heard of

Thank you,

Jake

Edited by snakieee

well touching a heatsink thats 30 C shouldn't cause OMG THATS HOT type of reaction. I"ve felt my Northbridge heatsink when the NB was around 55C and I was able keep my finger on it for a decent amount of time.

I'm a bit confused with your post, at first You said you felt the NB heatsink and it was really hot, like going to burn your hand hot. Then I would go with it probably needs to be cooled more.

but now your saying thats it's not the NB.... Which is it ?

Also It could very well be the NB actually thats heating up that much in the system. Your heatsink might not be making good contact with the chip itself and thus causing the Heatsink to feel cool but yet the chip is very hot ( Unsafe temperature actually if it's really that hot.)

The only other parts in the system that really get that really could get that hot are : CPU , Mosfets , SB ( maybe) it'd sure take a while or a ton of voltage, which would be unsafe.

What temps are you getting in the bios. It could just be speed fan or what ever is off ........

I'd trust bios temps for chipset temperatures over any program

I think its speedfan. because if something was 82C it would be dead by now. Everything in the bios is like 38 and under so I think I am safe and its a false reading. Im going to try that Everest thing though for a second opinion...(Speedfan is the only program that gives me the reading...