Overclocking!

xPETEZx

Hi All,

I have had Overclockable hardware for years now, just never had the time/courage to actually do it.

So, Id like to try, see where it taks me.

I have the 2 following rigs:

Rig 1

C2D E6850

eVGA 680i

2x 1GB OZC SLi Cert.

nVidia 8800GTS 640MB

150GB Raptor X

500GB WD Caviar 16MB

500GB Segate Barracuda 7200.10

PC Power & Cooling 610W

Rig 2

AMD FX-57

MSI K8n Neo 2 Plat.

2x 1GB Crucial BallistiX

ATi Radeon X1950 Pro 512

160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9

I havent OC'ed since the days of my 9800SE (modded to Pro).

I have never OC'ed a CPU through the BIOS. What tools do I need, and how much time should I set aside before attempting this?

Is a couple of evenings a night going to be enough? Or should I take a weekend to do this?

I am not looking for massive Temp Over clocks, I am looking for something I can run 24/7

Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone can benefit from reading through the Overclocking Basics Guide, I learn something new every time I read through OC material.

If you know the basics for the most part just try fiddling with the FSB and multipliers and leave everything else alone, watch your temperatures and don't push it too far.

At least from my experiences (that is using boards that have the basic OC functions but aren't OEM) you can learn a lot by just trying things, of course if you have absolutely no idea what an option does then don't change it.

By taking it easy and changing a single value at a time and documenting how that affects your final clock spedd you can learn a lot as I did way back in the day...

Now for OC tips about your specific hardware I have NO idea :P

For your Neo2, go Here and grab a modded BIOS (the newest one looks interesting and adds some options that I didn't have when using mine).

If you haven't read them already, there is plenty of good info in the A64 Overclocking Guides.

Pay particular attention to the Neo2 Tips and Tricks Thread as it offers some good pointers (you won't be able to overclock using the unlocked SATA ports for example)

I'll let someone else point you in the right direction for the C2D rig. :)

Edited by jammin

Ok, think I am going to give it a try this weekend.

I have an Thermalright Si-128 with Antec Tri-Cool fan on it, so that should keep things cool. As for the 8800GTS, how far can I go on stock cooling?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I tried a bit of Overclocking over the weekend, and got no where.

This is what I did:

Turned off All forms of Thermal Throttoling

Set CPU voltage to Auto

Set FSB/RAM clock on Unlinked

Started to move FSB up.

I took the FSB up from 1333 to 1600 at first, and that wouldent boot.

Went back into BIOS set it to 1500 and that didnt post either

Set it to 1400 and the BIOS reset itself

Was I changing the right option? I was using a Guide written by nVidia. I cant remember the link to it, but I found it on OCC.

How far should I be able to go on an E6850, cooled by a Thermalright Si-128 with an Antec fan @ 1700 RPM. All on an eVGA 680i motherboard?

Thanks!

X9 I would set the volts to 1.39 cuz 1.30 is undervolting the chip I have the same chip and the highest I pushed it was 4.3ghz but I run 4.050 24/7 you should be able to get 1600 fsb on 1.39 volts but nvidia chipsets are a little hairy and have lots of fsb holes. try setting the fsb to like 1557 on 1.39/1.40 volts I found that on nvidia chipsets the odd number fsb's seem to be more stable. good luck!

google: nvidia 680i overclocking guide

nvidia wrote an official guide...

there's a pencil mod to reduce/eliminate vDroop, I've tried it and it works and helps stability

8x450 is a really stable overclock for me, with a 6850 you might be able to flick it up to 9x for 4050 MHz...

So I run 8x456.25(1825QDR)=3650 (1.575v), the RAM sync'd (456.25) at 4-4-4-12-2T on my Q6600... vDimm=2.2 - 2.3 (i can't remember)

680i is a pain in the arse, but you can make it work lol

Thanks for the replies!

I already have the nVidia guide downloaded . :) May try the droop mod if I cant get stable where I want.

I don't understand when you talk about 8x450? Where is the settings for the "450"? Is this what is then multiplied to get the FSB? (Which is 1333 stock for me?)

Sorry about the stupid questions, but just not done this before.

I don't understand when you talk about 8x450? Where is the settings for the "450"? Is this what is then multiplied to get the FSB? (Which is 1333 stock for me?)

you're pretty much right.

the default value would be 333, which is multiplied by 4 (or "quad pumped" as they like to say) to get 1333. don't worry too much about that though, what you need to be concerned with is the clock speed, which is multiplier x FSB (8 x 450).