overclocking e8400 on 780i

infieldrick

have not dont much of o/c, i have been reading for weeks about it and would love too give it a run....... just need little help starting at a low setting and will take it from there. thanks for the help,

Well, read the overclocking guides if you haven't already then give it a try. I don't think you'll find anyone that'll hold your hand every step of the way if you're not willing to experiment yourself.

YES LOWER THOSE VOLTS!!!!!!

60C IDLE!!!! 60C load is really hot for a cpu.

your prolly running 85 C load thats enough to cook a cpu if your not careful.

you shuld also reseat the HSF. those temps are really high considering your only pushing 1.3V to the cpu

you shuld also reseat the HSF. those temps are really high considering your only pushing 1.3V to the cpu

I lower the volts to 1.2 and my windows wouldnt boot, so i changed it back my zalman heatsink should be here today, iam going to install that and try again hope that works, i want to get to 4.0. any ideas for the volts and ajustments. thx for any help i get you people are great here.

Not with the core 2s... with the A64s yeah, probably. With the core 2s, with voltage increase, the temps SKYROCKET. Usually, anything under 70C is fine.

My e6600 is at 437.5x8 at 1.556v with it loading around 63c.

My Core 2 idles at 43 C under 1.4V @ 4.1 ghz and hits about 55 C load on the highest core.

I understand E8400 idle a little hotter than the Conroe's but if you read around or ask people, you will see most members won't go over 60C load on there CPU's..

I have a E8400 as well.

idk what type of cooling Mattwalter has but i presume he meant 1.5V instead of 4.5V

1.5V is a high voltage from what I've been reading about the E8400. I personally wouldn't go over that for 24/7 use or even periods of time longer than 2 hours and I have a water cooling system

I would suggest getting a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme if you wish to get a different HS. Thats the HS that I run on my E6600 and for the E6850 I use a D-Tek Fuzion Waterblock.

3600MHz is a good start :)

Have you ran any stability testing on it yet? check out the Socket 775 Competition thread, there is a link in my sig to check out what others are getting and to post screenshots and see how you rank up :)

The important thing when overclocking is to have fun :)

I understand E8400 idle a little hotter than the Conroe's but if you read around or ask people, you will see most members won't go over 60C load on there CPU's..

On the same heatsink? Since when? You'd better not be comparing that crappy little half-height aluminum heatsink to the full-height copper-core ones.