Linux Which version is better?

OneShot 926

Can you use SMP folding with fedora core?

edit: Also what steps would i take to install linux to a raw partition.

I have XP on one partition and the other two are not formated yet.

Do I burn a copy of the download to cd then use it as boot cd? never attemted linux before and would like to give it a go.

I could not get it to run anything that I tried to instal?? it keeps saying that there is nothing to open it with, does anybody know how to take care of this?????
What are you trying to install?

Linux?

Linux is an operating system that needs to be seperately installed from windows or installed/mounted virtually with VMware...

For desktop use I like Ubuntu better, but for server use I prefer Fedora Core.

I'll 100% agree here, Ubuntu's server version is a lot better for server use than Ubuntu's desktop version, but with Fedora you get more a mix of the two out of the box with the more

standard" linux setup plus with the relation to Red Hat you've got some great resources out there due to the massive nu,ber of servers using it. Though the Ubuntu community is untouchable for Desktop trouble shooting. LOVE that forum.

Can you use SMP folding with fedora core?

SMP folding can be run on any x64 linux system that has the 32bit binaries installed (Ubuntu doenst by default, fedora 7 and 8 do)

I use and would recommend Fedora Core 8 for general use/light hosting.

If you do choose Fedora though, you have to be aware that it has a very short version lifecycle, and they release a new 'version' every maybe year or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried installing ubuntu 7.10 from cd that i downloaded and burned the ISO image and after it loads the kernal the screen goes blank and everything just like stops? maybe i have the wrong version. i downloaded the 64-bit version they made for amd rigs.....