Yet another PC vs. Console debate...

Crow47

A PC is relatively backwards compatible in terms of gaming support, I can play almost all of the RETRO titles I own without specific effort on my part, naturally there are exceptions to this and require emulation software (or a really old PC) :D
I never thought of that, I agree though you can play any game you want on any up to date non-mac based PC providing you have an emulator or DOS-box for some of the more obscure titles...

Another thing on the console side, more often than not you have a bigger television than you do a computer screen, so thats 1 point for consoles right there.

blah blah blah PC's look better, consoles are at X resolution blah blah, I'd prefer to play the same game on a 50" TV vs a 20-24" PC monitor providing it wasn't a fps or rpg any day of the week...

Even if the PC version looked better I would still enjoy the larger screen over the higher picture quality of the monitor...

Edited by Andrewr05

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought of that, I agree though you can play any game you want on any up to date non-mac based PC providing you have an emulator or DOS-box for some of the more obscure titles...

Another thing on the console side, more often than not you have a bigger television than you do a computer screen, so thats 1 point for consoles right there.

blah blah blah PC's look better, consoles are at X resolution blah blah, I'd prefer to play the same game on a 50" TV vs a 20-24" PC monitor providing it wasn't a fps or rpg any day of the week...

Even if the PC version looked better I would still enjoy the larger screen over the higher picture quality of the monitor...

s-video_PC.JPG

Then a decent soundcard and some speakers, and you're all set :D.

You've got to remember the writers at gizmodo are not technical people... they're bloggers.

If OCC is a PS3, they're a Wii.

Don't expect a decent argument from anyone in the media, as they don't know they're arse from their elbow.

Don't get stressed about it :P

PC gaming is free :) but what i like is knowing without paying anything extra what i see on the back of the box is what the graphics are going to look like. i much rather spend money on a console game over PC

I can see why hes upset after he red this article

http://kotaku.com/gaming/craziness/1800-in...ysis-333598.php

it does seem kind of ridiculous that a game comes out and there are no singal video cards that can run it on full settings at a decent frame rate.

... I'm not usually a grammar Nazi, but what was that?

"I think we're going to witness a slow dying-off of PC games (not completely, though) after what we saw with the sales (or rather, lack thereof) of UT III and Crysis. As larger companies see a drop-off in PC games sales, they'll see less of a reason to put money into developing or porting games onto the PC. You'll see an continuation of the trend for consoles to be more PC-like, with better internet implementation, media support, and eventually the ability to install applications. The line between PCs and consoles will continue to blur, but you'll never see one doing everything the other does."

Wow. It's nice to know that you can base the death of an entire industry (in this case, PC Gaming) on the sales of two items. I love it when people talk out of their rear ends.

As for the main article, that's like saying you want a sleek sports car, with a jet engine, afterburners and missile launchers that'll get 32 miles to the gallon and for the price of a Nissan Ultima. It's nice to dream but not going to happen.

Edited by Ron13

Read their article, and ask yourself. Do they know what they're talking about? Chances are they're NOT PC enthusiasts, or even PC savvy. They, like most people who blindly prefer a console over pc, are too ADD or unintelligent to learn the ways of proper PC upkeep and service. Look, console gaming is popular, because it really requires you to do NOTHING, plug a few cables in, and boom, WE HAEV TEH GAMMES!!! It's the same reason why DELL and MDG can sell $800 computers that suck, when I could build a machine that powerful for $450 or so. Why? Ease of use. CONSOLES ARE EASY. To the general population, PC's seem expensive and complicated, because they're not looking in the right places, or taking the time to look in the right places.

EDIT : To bigred, it was a 33% failure rate, not 25.

Edited by Gimmick

ask the console freaks about heat in an xbox 360... why do they have a 25% fail rate with the "halo of death"? um that's heat.

Fix't, done, over with.

It was a faulty design that's been rectified and all broken consoles were fixed under warranty.

I think this argument comes up every time new consoles hit the market and people start proclaiming the death of PC gaming and it hasn't happened yet and I don't see it happening anytime soon. To me they each have their merits...where as I use my PC for my FPS and more mature games but I still enjoy playing games with my family on the Wii.

And honestly, I would rather play on my 20" WS with great graphics than my 50" HDTV...but thats JMO. :)

I think this argument comes up every time new consoles hit the market and people start proclaiming the death of PC gaming and it hasn't happened yet and I don't see it happening anytime soon. To me they each have their merits...where as I use my PC for my FPS and more mature games but I still enjoy playing games with my family on the Wii.

And honestly, I would rather play on my 20" WS with great graphics than my 50" HDTV...but thats JMO. :)

Just hook your computer up to your 50" HDTV and have great graphics plus a home theater sound setup. :P

"I think we're going to witness a slow dying-off of PC games (not completely, though) after what we saw with the sales (or rather, lack thereof) of UT III and Crysis. As larger companies see a drop-off in PC games sales, they'll see less of a reason to put money into developing or porting games onto the PC. You'll see an continuation of the trend for consoles to be more PC-like, with better internet implementation, media support, and eventually the ability to install applications. The line between PCs and consoles will continue to blur, but you'll never see one doing everything the other does."

Wow. It's nice to know that you can base the death of an entire industry (in this case, PC Gaming) on the sales of two items. I love it when people talk out of their rear ends.

As for the main article, that's like saying you want a sleek sports car, with a jet engine, afterburners and missile launchers that'll get 32 miles to the gallon and for the price of a Nissan Ultima. It's nice to dream but not going to happen.

I was merely making an educated guess. Those two games aren't the only ones. I mean come on, for so long, it's been THE SIMS at the top of the PC Games selling list for the last two years or something. That's hardly optimistic. Oh, and I love it when people talk out of their rear ends about people who they think talk out of their rear ends.

Anyway, I do agree fully with the second part of your post.

Welcome to OCC, ;)

Edited by Crow47