Yet another PC vs. Console debate...

Crow47

Alright.

So I found this article here: http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/all-giz-wants/a...sole-334928.php

Quite frankly, I am very angered by this. (I'm going to be quoting this article, but I encourage you do read.)

"But our ultimate gaming PC isn't what's come to typify the phrase "gaming PC." We don't want some tricked out, neon Barad-d

Edited by Crow47

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:withstupid:

I quit console gaming about 2 years ago - I wasnt going to pay the $$ for a PS3, and I also wasnt impressed w/then-current PS2 titles. I think the benefits to PC gaming are many:

- easily upgradeable, and "old" parts can be recycled for use in a less demanding environment

- constantly evolving technology on both harware/software sides, keeps things fresh and exciting

- I prefer keyboard/mouse to console controller - better control, more precise actions, and higher gaming skill level due to plethora of available control options

- I really dont have the money to spend on both PC and consoles/games - my PC is a do-it-all box that will be exponentially more useful after it's "out of date"...my old PS2 will never be a music/video/file/game server

- modding a PC is accepted (and sometimes encouraged) by major parts manufacturers, modding an xbox will void your warranty.

I guess to sum it all up, I feel a real "connection" to my PC that I never felt towards a console. I built this thing, I put time in carefully maintaining it and upgrading it. my PC is an extension of me - it's a physical representation of my belief that function always trumps form. it says that I demand quality and value. it says that I am capable of producing something extremely useful by myself - that I dont need a sweatshop to build me something overpriced and inferior.

p.s. - thx, dude - I needed to participate in some ranting, and this is a great topic

:thumbs-up:

Honestly, I'm tired of fanboys on both sides. People just can't seem to realize that the whole PC versus Console comparison just is not valid to make. They're machines designed two fill two completely different roles! It's almost like comparing a tractor to a Ferrari and justifying it by saying that they both have engines. Sure that one point may be true enough but what kind of lopsided comparison can be made based off of that?

Consoles were made to simplify gaming and to make it more open to a broader range of people. PC's, originally, were machines made to crunch numbers and make spreadsheets. Electronic beasts of burden, basically. Each machine has it's strengths and weaknesses. For example, you never have to install games when using consoles nor do you ever have to pop open the hood to do maintenance. But as a downside to that you're forced to rely on warranty repair services should anything ever go wrong, leaving you without your consoles for days and possibly even weeks.

PC's, on the other hand, can do a lot more than just play games. From accounting to shopping, there aren't many, if any, things that consoles do that PC's can't. Also, as you mentioned, there is the greater ability to personalize the experience. But as a downside PC's are a fair bit more complex and certainly much easier to break. Give an idiot 10 minutes in a Consoles system menu and he won't be able to break a damn thing. Give the same guy 10 minutes on an admin account in windows and . hits the fan.

Looking simply at gaming between consoles and PC's, I'd have to say, and think what you will, that consoles really are superior in that aspect. Not because they offer the best graphics or the highest resolutions. Not because it's simpler to play with a gamepad or anything like that. I believe that because consoles have brought gaming to basically every demographic on earth. Why just recently the Wii was "prescribed" to stroke patients as a form of therapy. Not only is it helping them recover but it's also bringing them enjoyment and expanding the player base at the same time. I have yet to see the doctor who has recommended that his patients play CS:S to help get over their illnesses.

I prefer the PC not because of higher resolutions or prettier graphics nor because I have some sort of special attachment to it, I prefer it because there's just more stuff you can do with one. Of course by that I mean overclocking(among other things)! :D

Crow47, try bolding the original text so that we can actually decipher where the article ends and your opinions start.

I read 3/4 of your post till I realized you had even written anything...

My opinion:

Quality not quantity, how does that pertain to this you might ask?

I will play a game that has an awesome storyline and awesome gameplay before I decide to play a game based on graphics...

I prefer a mouse and keyboard for FPS/any shooting game, yet I prefer a controller for platformer racing games (ideally a wheel)

I guess I'm stuck between both...

If I had $1000 I'd definately buy a new kickass PC with a sweet monitor vs. a PS3 or XBOX 360 and a crap load of games..

I dunno, I guess that didn't really make sense. :closedeyes:

I will play a game that has an awesome storyline and awesome gameplay before I decide to play a game based on graphics...

:withstupid:

This is the reason I love emulators and I go back to a lot of old-school PC games. I'm interested in the fun factor way more than how it looks. If a game is fun to play and pretty looking, all the better.

But a crap game that looks pretty is still a crap game.

This is the reason I love emulators and I go back to a lot of old-school PC games. I'm interested in the fun factor way more than how it looks.
I agree, there are still quite a few old games with good replay value...
If a game is fun to play and pretty looking, all the better.
AGREED

• 2 weeks later...

A PC is relatively backwards compatible in terms of gaming support, I can play almost all of the RETRO titles I own without specific effort on my part, naturally there are exceptions to this and require emulation software (or a really old PC) :D

How many consoles can offer such a wide variety/flexibility to end users as a PC? don't get me wrong I'm quite fond of our Mega-Drive, Xbox, PS1, Gameboy Colour, Advance & DS :wub:

I used to enjoy all my gaming on the pc b/c of the easy multiplayer component. But what with xbox live and such these days multiplayer is SOMEWHAT easy on consoles, but not all of the consoles have caught up yet. So until then PC it will be for me.

The most appealling feature of console gaming right now, and the reason I want to trade in my PC for a 360 (or PS3) is the social aspect. It is a lot easier to get friends together when it only takes a console 4 controllers and a TV to play some games then when it takes 4 computers, 4 monitors, plus keyboards/mice, etc, and intelligence to play a game. I won't argue the graphical supeiority that computers have over consoles, or the quality of some of the games, but I certainly won't say one is better than the other. I think for my needs (well wants to be honest lol) a console is more my thing, but I understand where you PC Gamers are coming from too, I used to play upwards of 40 hours a week of Far Cry of all games back before I had a job :).