I think i have it narrowed....

trudgy

I'm new to register here, but been lurking for a long time for research and opinions etc that everyone gives, so thanks for all that.

I"m building a new system for myself to replace a few year old machine.

I do photoshop/lightroom mostly, (with occasional gaming but this is not a need). I basically like to build my system to last a number of years as this past one did.

I have put together the following and just wondering your input on these specific things, maybe i missed something in researching etc.

thanks !

CPU: Either the E6850 or Q6600 - this is yet to be decided - Photoshop doesn't care too much about 4 core so i'm thinkin i'd get better results OC the 6850

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6

Muskin HP2 5-4-4-4-12 RAM 2gb * 2 kit (seems to overlcok just as well as XP2 kit)

4 * 500gb hard drives in RAID 5

2 * 80gb hard drives in RAID 0 for adobe scratch and windows pagefile

LG 20x DVDRW with lightscribe

Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme

OCZ XTC RAM cooler

Hardcano 13 fan controller

2 * Noctua NF-P12 fans

Antec 850watt true power quattro

Lian Li A71

8600 GTS Overclock video card i will be using I have now

Windowx XP 64bit edition will be used.

I will be overclocking the system when it's built in case that matters.

Any suggestions or comments? with all this stuff i'm pretty much at my maximum limit to spend here in Canada

looks like a solid build. i agree with your decision on the 6850, i have the 6600 but i use a lot of smp apps, so that's really why i picked it. is 160gb of space really required for the pagefile/scratch? oh well :P more power to ya either way :)

I would definetly get the Q6600, but from ClubIT.com, where they sell guaranteed G0 stepping Quads :) The G0's OC a lot better than the older B3's, some OC as far as the E6850s can. If you check the 775 OC Competition thread in the Overclocking section, road-runner has his Quad at 3950MHz more or less stable.

would it just make sense at this point to wait untill Jan. when the 45nm stuff comes out?

I haven't seen any specs or pricing so not sure if it'll be worth it or not?

I'd also like to go up to 8gb or RAM in the nearer future, should i just buy a 8gb kit now, to make sure everything matches or will that not matter to much? Geil has some 8gb kits 4-4-4-12.

would it just make sense at this point to wait untill Jan. when the 45nm stuff comes out?

I'd also like to go up to 8gb or RAM in the nearer future, should i just buy a 8gb kit now, to make sure everything matches or will that not matter to much? Geil has some 8gb kits 4-4-4-12.

I'd wait. ;) Here's a review/comparison of the current CPUs to 45nm ones: http://en.expreview.com/?p=65

trudgy, Im new to this site.. You mentioned something about 45nm stuff coming in Jan. Can you tell me whats coming out in January?

Im in the same boat as you.. Trying to decided on the E6850 or the Q6600.

Thanks

trudgy, Im new to this site.. You mentioned something about 45nm stuff coming in Jan. Can you tell me whats coming out in January?

Im in the same boat as you.. Trying to decided on the E6850 or the Q6600.

Thanks

thanks for posting that pricing , gives me something ot think about i guess, but i mean at this point might as well wait...... i guess i'm afraid that there will be a delay or something and then i'll have waited a month and then it'll be delayed another month or something...........how good is intel at keeping there dates?

im liking that quad core with 12mb cache, it may just be the way i should go.

thanks for posting that pricing , gives me something ot think about i guess, but i mean at this point might as well wait...... i guess i'm afraid that there will be a delay or something and then i'll have waited a month and then it'll be delayed another month or something...........how good is intel at keeping there dates?

im liking that quad core with 12mb cache, it may just be the way i should go.

Intel has been good about keeping there dates, its AMD that has been having problems with that among others. I am going to get a 12mb cache Quad myself...