Mac Bios Password?

Alright guys, so I'm in college and I want some protection on my computer. Most of all I've got a roommate who insists on trying to use my computer while I'm not here. So pretty much I want to put on a Bios password similar to a PC but I'm not sure where to find it on a Macbook Pro or if there is this option. I found this website with instructions on how to do what I want it looks like, but the other thing I'm not sure about is if this will work with refIt because I'm using it to triple boot. Thanks guys.

Eh, well I don't think he's going to try anything to break in, I put in some account passwords so I think I'm good, plus I couldn't get the other prompt to come up with the Apple-Option-o-f to bring up a prompt. I just wanted a bit of extra security if I could, but this'll work for now!

Macs don't have a BIOS, at least not in the sense we're used to with PCs. Macs use something called EFI, and it is essentially closed off to the user.

So like others have said, just put on an account password and you're pretty much set. And set a password when the machine comes back from standby or screensaver so you don't have to worry about somebody using it if you forget to log out.

another "idea" to throw out there... saw one of these the other day in an order from iogear... it looks like a thumb drive, but it's nothing more than a reciever which works with an RF proximity tag. logs off the moment the other part of the unit leaves a 10 foot radius. you CAN get around it with an admin password... but at least it logs off the moment you get up to even take a dump.

Macs don't have a BIOS, at least not in the sense we're used to with PCs. Macs use something called EFI, and it is essentially closed off to the user.

So like others have said, just put on an account password and you're pretty much set. And set a password when the machine comes back from standby or screensaver so you don't have to worry about somebody using it if you forget to log out.

Wouldn't this leave it open to someone booting up off of a CD?

I run a boot password on my laptop to avoid this, I wish more motherboards had that option. My desktop lacks it. :(

^ yes you can boot from cd but theres a key combo you need to hold wile booting (usually) to get to choose what you want to boot from

Which I assume anyone trying to break into the system would know.

the only bios setting macs really have to for installing the OS. i had this problem when i was putting a new HDD in a iBook and let me tell you if you forget the root password. the only other option is removing the battier and its not your friend. also any Admin password on mac os can be changed if you become the Root admin by i think holding apple+shift at startup? (google it i'm close) i'v seen it done a few times in person. of course you have to know a little bit of unix (not linux but its close)

just a heads up, dont use macs to keep people out.

Wouldn't this leave it open to someone booting up off of a CD?

I run a boot password on my laptop to avoid this, I wish more motherboards had that option. My desktop lacks it. :(

You're right, you can pop in a disc and boot from it by just holding down the "c" key. So yes, that would present a bit of a problem with securing the machine.

Though I guess the average Mac user doesn't have to worry about anybody around him/her being smart enough to know this fact ;)