Unreal Tournament 3 Beta

Crow47

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm downloading it now and hearing all you guys talk about just makes me go wild with anticipation over this. This is my favorite game series ever and I have been looking forward to this since I heard about it. Thanks guys! On another note, I didn't know that this supported PhysX. Oh please, can't that just die already? Does anybody around here have one of those cards? And likes it?

Edited by Crow47

I'm downloading it now and hearing all you guys talk about just makes me go wild with anticipation over this. This is my favorite game series ever and I have been looking forward to this since I heard about it. Thanks guys! On another note, I didn't know that this supported PhysX. Oh please, can't that just die already? Does anybody around here have one of those cards? And likes it?

I thought the PhysX thing was gonna be an unofficial mod developed by the folks that make those cards. Honestly the video they had up looked freaking amazing and given the number of objects that were getting processed at once, it looks like it took a considerable load off of the CPU. But there is only one way to find out if it actually did anything...someone, go buy a PhysX card and run some tests!

7 minutes left for me :D

On another note, I didn't know that this supported PhysX. Oh please, can't that just die already? Does anybody around here have one of those cards? And likes it?

:blink: Why the heck would you want something that can process physics to die out? It takes a massive load off of the cpu and can process more than even a dedicated Core Quad...

:blink: Why the heck would you want something that can process physics to die out? It takes a massive load off of the cpu and can process more than even a dedicated Core Quad...

The PhysX cards are a great idea problem being a lot of the new DX 10 cards have a similar processor built into the card itself using the gpu to process physics to take the load off of your cpu. Having not been able to get my hands on a PhysX card myself I couldn't say which does a better job. What I am seeing more and more is little to no support for the PhysX card for most of the new games coming out which is too bad cause like I said it is a good idea if your video card does not support its own physics processing.

The PhysX cards are a great idea problem being a lot of the new DX 10 cards have a similar processor built into the card itself using the gpu to process physics to take the load off of your cpu. Having not been able to get my hands on a PhysX card myself I couldn't say which does a better job. What I am seeing more and more is little to no support for the PhysX card for most of the new games coming out which is too bad cause like I said it is a good idea if your video card does not support its own physics processing.

Agreed. Also having another piece of hardware to help spread the workload out is always(well almost always...) a good thing. Frees up more CPU/GPU power for whatever else you may feel like throwing at it. I'm sure sometime in the future the whole dedicated physics card thing is gonna take off once games get more intense and realistic.

I'm sure sometime in the future the whole dedicated physics card thing is gonna take off once games get more intense and realistic.

Either that or GPUs and/or CPUs will have built-in independent physics processors, much like FPUs were added on to CPUs years ago. :)

they just need to remake UT 2k and with the same looking weapons, maps and everything just you know high detail support for next gen. i liked classic mode the best in UT2k4, but thats only for the weapons sadly

Well I hate PhysX because right now it seems largely unsupported and it takes up a PCI slot when I would much rather have a sound card in there. Some systems have gfx cards that are so big that the mobo only has one PCI slot open, and so the sound card gets sacrificed for the PhysX. It could be worth it in ut3 but I'm not holding my breath, as stuff looks great now anyway.

-Edit- What I'm pulling for is using an older pcie gfx card in a 3rd pcie slot as a physics processor. That sounds like a good idea to me.

Edited by Crow47