Getting a New PSU

i was thinking of replacing my Enermax 470watt with the Mushkin 580Watt that OCC reviewed a few months ago. i always like Mushkin Ram so is the PSu just as good?

or does people have a better recommendation? under $100 that can hold a 8800 on load and future cards

For the price that looks like a pretty strong PSU. If you plan to keep the PSU through a couple upgrades then I would recommend going with the 650W version even though it is a little more expensive.

The Mushkin XP650 that we reviewed runs my water cooled box with a 6750 and 2 640mb 8800gts cards,4gb of ram as well as the rest of the system just fine.

Do you think it would power this?

^--The link goes to my newegg wish list. That's my planned build as of now. Add to that my two 36GB raptors and a 200GB IDE drive. Also possibly upping those specs to 4GB of RAM, but not sure.

Newegg's psu calculator shows over 750W...I'm sure they pad those numbers, but 750W was what I originally expected going into this build. I don't want to cut corners, but if 650W will be fine and this is stable, $130 for a PSU is pretty good.

Thanks.

Do you think it would power this?

^--The link goes to my newegg wish list. That's my planned build as of now. Add to that my two 36GB raptors and a 200GB IDE drive. Also possibly upping those specs to 4GB of RAM, but not sure.

Newegg's psu calculator shows over 750W...I'm sure they pad those numbers, but 750W was what I originally expected going into this build. I don't want to cut corners, but if 650W will be fine and this is stable, $130 for a PSU is pretty good.

Thanks.

That 650w mushkin power supply will definitely be able to handle all of that. Heck, were it not for my lack of molex/sata connectors, my 450w unit could handle that without a problem.

That's if 8800GTS's actually pulled 220w under load. I believe the max an 8800GTS(320/640) will pull is 120w. I remember hardnrg posting an exact number but I don't remember what it was exactly. I do remember that it was WELL UNDER 200w, though. So yeah, I could totally take on one, possibly two but that would be pushing it.

if each 8800 takes 220 watts on load and 90watts for the cpu maybe another 75 for 2 hdd and a cd drive thats more than 450.

= 605 on load , so i duno about that 450.

Okay, well that makes me feel slightly better...especially if ikillsteal is right about the 8800GTS's taking less than 220W apiece. I will have more than 2 hard drives though (2 10k raptors in raid-0 + 1 sata 3.0 + 1 ide), but the odds of everything being full load would be really slim anyways.