Status update: Nvidia or ATI

So here's a question which i've never been sure of...

I've seen SLI and Crossfire specific motherboards.

I have an nVidia SLI setup right now. If i wanted to switch back to ATI with a Crossfire setup in the future, would i need to replace the motherboard in addition to the videocards?

yes you would,

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes you would,

Actually that may not be the case. HP has crossfire running on a 680i chipset in their new gaming PC. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before somebody figures out what they did and then posts a handy little guide for doing it yourself. That would certainly open up quite a few mobo options for people prefering CF over SLI.

OT: Just got my Tuniq from a friend literally minutes before I posted this. Can't wait to get that beast into my computer. :)

Actually that may not be the case. HP has crossfire running on a 680i chipset in their new gaming PC. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before somebody figures out what they did and then posts a handy little guide for doing it yourself. That would certainly open up quite a few mobo options for people prefering CF over SLI.

OT: Just got my Tuniq from a friend literally minutes before I posted this. Can't wait to get that beast into my computer. :)

kewl, i actually read the article but never caught on that it was a 680i chipset

kewl, i actually read the article but never caught on that it was a 680i chipset

Yeah, that really struck me, too. It was kinda like hearing about people getting non-quadro SLI working on intels server boards, to nvidias displeasure. Maybe someday soon companies will find a gray area within which they can compromise so that we aren't stuck buying one chipset if we want SLI/Crossfire. How awesome would that be for us consumers? Sure it may never happen but things are definitely looking up for that.

Edited by iKillSteal

yes you would,

Well buggery... :lol:

I guess on my next computer i'll see about crossfire since i've only got a 570 sli chipset motherboard right now (which i really don't feel like swapping. ever. if i can help it.) :)

I'll have to see what nVidia can come up with for their next generation or two since I usually do a videocard upgrade halfway through my computer's lifecycle. However I'm really digging the massive amounts of stream processors and memory ATI has gone with.

Speaking of a retired benchmarker, did you every reach that first place with your 9800Pro puck? :P

/thread hijack :)

/OT

Second - first was a LN chilled beast of a r360 core. It was the fastest AIW(r350 core) in the world though ;). Air cooled to boot! Poor thing can barely hit 480mhz core now though after benching at ~520 on air and high volts :ph34r: (Stock is 350mhz). That card is still sitting in a drawer in my room, with the voltmod wires hanging everywhere and slightly bent from the heatsink :lol:.

Back on topic - My second X1900XT comes in tomorrow. I can let you know the percent improvement I get by dual cards over single - and will clock them back down to X1900XTX speeds which most easily obtain so the results can be duplicated by anyone. It is not just double performance like some may think, it is quite less unfortunatly. It is closer to double then SLI though ;)

My mobo may downclock the PCIE bus's to 8x instead of the 16x it is now when I go crossfire. Supposedly not a huge performance hit, but we will see. 20k 3d2k5 should be cake even on this old school single core mad-clocking opty.

/OT

I totally remember those pics of that BIG @$$ socket A heatsink on the 9800Pro :lol:

On topic: I have SLIed 7800GT's, I'll just look through my screenshots to show you the performance increase! The system was my AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ @ 2.7GHz on a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR Expert, running with 2x1GB Speedline PC4000 (3-3-2-6-1T), those were Infineon CE-6 chips (same as the Mushkin Redlines, so awesome chips :))

Percentage performance increase in the following benchmarks was:

3DMark01 --> ca. 3% (way too old benchmark)

3DMark03 --> ca. 40%

3DMark05 --> ca. 38%

3DMark06 --> ca. 42%

Aquamark 3 --> ca. 12%

CSS FPS Test --> ca. 25%

So it was actually quite a nice upgrade, but only if you plan on using them for a longer period of time. I needed some money, so I sold both of the cards and got a single X1950Pro 256MB as a replacement, and that was fine as well for the games I play (CSS, BF2, COD2 etc.) :)

What would be a smart buy at this point in time? The HD2900XT 1GB version is $500-550. You can get an 8800GTX 768MB card for around the same price, or an 8800 Ultra 768MB for around $600-700. I plan on building a system with a Q6600. For now, I plan on just sticking to one video card, so which would be the smart purchase right now? Is the extra $100ish for an 8800 Ultra worth it?

And I don't know why people are saying the HD2900XT is so much cheaper than the GTX, unless they're talking about the 512MB version which is around $400. Everything I've seen have the 8800's smoking the 2900's.