ESD Information

Hi all, I am new here and have been having a real hard time geting information on proper ESD practices. I have purchased a new anti-static wrist strap for the computer I am starting to build. However, I have been told to clip onto the computer case to equalize the charge. Another said to clip onto the case but leave it pluged in. Than I am told to ground myself to the ground plug in an outlet (just the ground plug). But here is my dilema (Spelling??). I have a case with a removable mother board tray. How do I ground myself when the tray is on the table and I have to attach the mother board to the tray. How do I keep down the static befor I have the board in the case, or when I am takeing the memory out of it package to install it?

ANOTHER question, I have a box of latex examination gloves. You would thing that these would be PERFECT! They are insulated and therefor static charge cannot get through????

Please help me in this very basic part of building a computer.

Thanks

Tommymeggs

[email protected]

I've used an anti-static wrist strap once in my life. It was really annoying so I said screw it. You'll be fine if you just touch an unpainted metal part of your case before you get to working on it. Just don't run around in socks while combing your hair with your CPU.

I just regularly touch a bare metal part of the inside of the case whilst working, never had any problems with static to date.

Just make sure you have all the stuff you need to hand before starting to avoid unnecessary static build up from carpets etc.

I like to use latex gloves that I get from work while working on comps. Eliminates any oil getting on the board from your fingers, and works especially well when cleaning the AS5 off components (even though that stuff seems to get everywhere!). Then all you have to do is throw them away when complete. But I haven't had any static problems wearing them.

Just don't run around in socks while combing your hair with your CPU.

What? your not supposed to use a cpu as a comb?

I've never had a problem with static, built several machines, worked on several more. Like everyone else said, touch bare metal before touching anything important. And don't wear socks while building it, socks are uncomfortable, just go barefoot all the time.

Like everyone else, I've never had any problems with ESD. My only precaution is touching the case before I touch any computer parts. Heck, I even work on my PC while I'm laying on the carpet in my room. :rolleyes:

BUT it only takes one time to fry your mobo or RAM... Using a wrist strap is probably a good idea. I'd attach it to the case.

While it's good practice, in reality you shouldn't need a grounding strap, unless you are a n00b and are building on carpet and wearing nylon clothing :lol:

Don't forget the silk underwear! ;)

I agree with everyone else, the only time that I have worn a anti-static wrist band was when I was a computer tech for Grand Blanc High School during my junior year. I was not only required to use the wrist band, I was also required to use an anti-static floor mat as well as one that was set under the case on top of the table or other surface I was working on, which was really really annoying. I think that they are just another way to get people to spend money on useless products.

I also only touch the bare metal of the case before working, a few times while working, I also do all my work in my room which has no carpet, just hardwood floors, took the carpet out when I was 14, didn't much care for baby blue carpet :)