Need to silence my PC

Do you have anyway to check the temps on the card. As far as the driver goes, the hot fix appeared to help for a little while according to your previous post, based on that you may want to use a driver cleaner to clear out all of the ati drivers on the system to make sure there is not so old driver remnant eating something in the registry. then you will want to and then get the newest driver from ati's site and install it. Then do the updates again so if there is a hot fix it can be applied. Also the new driver should allow you to check the core temp on the card.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a danger den vid block with mounting equipment for ati/nvidia pm if interested. Also a note on water cooling you will really need to watch your pump's db output I have been done w/c road before and the pumps can get quite loud. Also you will probably not want to consider anything less 3/8" setup and if you can afford completely passive radiators are the way to go for good silence and performance, a good example would be the innovatek maxi raditor if you need more performance you can always get the cross flow fan and shroud for it and run it at 7v for silence and a temp reduction. btw this a great pump.

Edited by spectrascope

There's some problem with the drivers for nVidia cards in Vista. My roommate had the same problem with random graphics corruption; rebooting fixed it for a while. The newest driver from nVidia seems to have fixed it though.

Ok, it is denfinitly a heat issue. So, I'm going to install a side panel fan over my video card. I assume exhaust, right? Will any old drill do (I have some somewhat-old B&D drill, no idea how powerful it is.)? I plan on getting a 120mm "circle" or whatever bit, because I don't want to deal with using a dremel. I'll go drop by Home Depot.

I use a 114mm holesaw for metal, probably use it in reverse for acrylic sheet so it doesn't chip/bite, just watch out that you don't overheat your drill because most drill cooling only works in forward

I'd rather use a holesaw or jigsaw before a Dremel for cutting a large circle in a sheet of metal or acrylic

Yes, hole saw...I only see 4.5" hole saws on Home Depot's site, those would work fine, right?

And I might be able to get access to a drill press, so no need to deal with my old, crappy drill...

And there are tons of templates online, I'll probably just print one of them out.

4.5" ~= 114mm and is what I prefer... I think it's advisable to cut a hole that is slightly smaller than 120mm because you'll end up cutting about 1mm bigger, so if you cut around a CD diameter (120mm) you might end up with small gaps around the side unless you consciously make an effort to cut *inside* that line...

a drill press makes it a lot easier to make a perfect pilot whole for the 6mm arbor... so that's a 1/4" drill bit that the holesaw attaches to for you crazy inch people :P