Need to silence my PC

No, I just don't feel like taking the HR-03 off and putting it back on later. I'm out of AS5 anyway.

And, I sent them one polite email. I can wait. Heh.

In all fairness then, you *can* still use your card then ;) And you'll need more AS5 in the future too! :lol:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what the HSI chip does or if it gets hot enough to need a heatsink. I would assume it does since they included one...

It's a High-Speed Interface chip... what it does on a non-AGP card is beyond me, but it gets very hot, and failing to cool it adequately leads to lockups and crashes under 3D load

Only 3D load? So I could use my computer until I get that new HSI sink?

Thanks. :D

If you are willing to risk that, why not just put the stock sink back on? Surely it cant take that long ;)

I got a replacement HSI sink, but there is a problem...I must have seated the heatsink on wrong or something. I get a crap load of vertical...bars, I guess, and when I try to boot into Vista (safe mode worked), it says nvmkmdll.sys or whatever (the nvida display driver) has crashed. Want pictures?

I guess I'll go reseat the heat sink, I hope I didn't fry my video card... :rolleyes:

I got a replacement HSI sink, but there is a problem...I must have seated the heatsink on wrong or something. I get a crap load of vertical...bars, I guess, and when I try to boot into Vista (safe mode worked), it says nvmkmdll.sys or whatever (the nvida display driver) has crashed. Want pictures?

I guess I'll go reseat the heat sink, I hope I didn't fry my video card... :rolleyes:

Harsh. I just put an Accelero S1 on my X1950XT and it cools passively rather well. 44* idle and 67* load! Now my machine is getting there for silence. Shame that the Nexus fans aren't quite as silent as I had hoped for.

Only 3D load? So I could use my computer until I get that new HSI sink?

Thanks. :D

Vista uses 3D acceleration at the desktop I believe for transparency, 3D, animations, etc... I could be wrong, but that's what I read during "Longhorn" development

I didn't reseat my heatsink yet, but I tightened the screws holding it on, and took away my soundcard (right on top of the fan, I thought it may be restricting airflow), same as before. I tried using the other DVI port, and got no video...I'm starting to think I did something wrong putting the heat sink on, or I fried my video card, or something. Tomorrow I will reseat my heat sink, and if that doesn't work, I guess I'll slap the stock heat sink on and RMA it to EVGA...They're supposed to be good with this. I think I read on these forums that someone did something like that with an older out of production card, and EVGA even gave them an upgrade...

Edited by LivingGhost

• 2 months later...

Ok, a bit of a bump. I've been way too busy to deal with this for the past couple of months, but I finally fixed my biggest issues. I had way too much AS5 on my heatsink, so the majority of my problems are gone.

But I'm still having issues with that display driver. My video essentially dies for a few seconds at (seemingly) random intervals, and it's only video, nothing else (as far as I can see) is affected. I haven't tried the new nV drivers yet, but that did nothing last time, so I'm not hopeful. Has anyone found a fix to this?

Ok, well, updating the driver and installing that Windows hotfix helped. No crashes or messed up video on the desktop, and I was able to play Portal for about an hour, but then I got hit with it again.

I'm thinking it's a heat problem, as I've read about this happening in XP and with ATi cards.

I have an aftermarket heatsink and fan though, so I guess all that's left would be underclocking.