Need to silence my PC

I think he knows what he's doing. ;)

Sure, but I just figured that with that much cash at disposal, a dedicated amp would have been a logical choice.

I'd also be intrigued to see how/which soundcard is intended for use (assuming that a soundcard solution is intended)

edit: after seeing the forum in question, it makes a little more sense now, but this isn't a "conventional" tactic, hence my conventional thought :lol:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, but I just figured that with that much cash at disposal, a dedicated amp would have been a logical choice.

I'd also be intrigued to see how/which soundcard is intended for use (assuming that a soundcard solution is intended)

edit: after seeing the forum in question, it makes a little more sense now, but this isn't a "conventional" tactic, hence my conventional thought :lol:

Take a look at this page: http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufact.../akg-k-1000.php. That explains why he's using a speaker amp. :)

:P I do my research. :)

It'd be interesting if there were a headphone amp that could power them, they need about 7watts, I think.

And it appears as if Nexus fans ARE rebranded Yate Loon fans, or at least the 120mm Nexus is a YL D12SL-12.

Edit: That Corsair PSU is a rebranded Seasonic with modular cabling, so it looks like that is my new PSU. :)

Edited by LivingGhost

Edit: That Corsair PSU is a rebranded Seasonic with modular cabling, so it looks like that is my new PSU. :)

Correct. I have one (as well as a Hiper 580w Type R), so I can vouch for it being almost silent. If you are looking to get almost totally silent...you'll need to think about a quieter hard disk too - the Samsung Spinpoint is excellent!

Guest ecthlipsis

I didn't read the other posts, as I'm really tired, but even if they mentioned this I will 2nd it. Get Nexus fans. Their website is www.stopthenoise.com, if that's any indicator. By far the quietest fans on the market. I use only Nexus in my PC's =D

Re: hard drive suspension. You'll still hear a whine/read noise on many drives, no matter how well mounted they are ;) Plus, that guide is hella old in terms of the drives used - 30GB and 40GB?! :D

It's still used a lot.

Indeed it is, but 20/30/40GB drives are not ;) You might find no need for it with newer and quieter drives. It'd be a pain for me (not necessarily you though) because you'd not be able to move the PC much without drives slipping about :(

:P I do my research. :)

It'd be interesting if there were a headphone amp that could power them, they need about 7watts, I think.

They actually don't need 7 watts. The maximum power handling of the headphones are 1W. The confusion is coming from the fact that a loudspeaker amp is typically designed to drive 4/8 ohm loads, whereas the headphones in question are 120 ohms "nominal".

A higher impedance load would mean more voltage swing and less current draw. Lower impedance would mean less voltage swing (relatively speaking) but more current draw. A loudspeaker amp rated at 1W in to 8 ohms would simply not have enough voltage swing available to drive the headphones to anywhere near max volume, and so would start clipping.

Very simplistic example:

1W @ 8 ohms = +/-2.83v and 0.35355A / 353mA

1W @ 120 ohms = +/-10.95v and 0.09129A / 91mA

So you need about a 10W @ 8 ohm loudspeaker amp to drive them to about 100dB simply because:

10W @ 8 ohms = +/-8.94427v

A 10W amp will be able to swing +/-8.9v in to a 120 ohm load without clipping. It will not ever actually be using 10W, but still <1W. Unless I am missing something it shouldn't be difficult to design a headphone amp, or find a headphone amp, which can swing +/-10v and be able to supply ~100mA of current (plus a bit more for headroom perhaps).

edit: it's actually surprisingly hard to find a headphone amp that'll give 1W in to 120R :blush: Guess it's because 99.99% of headphones need like... 10-100mW or something to reach the same sort of level, so there isn't really much of a market for it :D

Edited by markiemrboo