Windows detects hard drive

Bionix

I just popped a 40gb hd into my rig, but it detects it as only 2.7gb. Figure this is a quick fix, any help? In the bios it says it's 40GB. Is it a partition problem?

Guest ajmatson

I had one do that to me the other day. It was a 20GB WD and it showed up as 7.92GB. I did a drive test on it and it was going bad. Try a test on it just to make sure.

I just popped a 40gb hd into my rig, but it detects it as only 2.7gb. Figure this is a quick fix, any help? In the bios it says it's 40GB. Is it a partition problem?

Double check to see if the jumpers on the HDD are set correctly.

Its only partitioned for 3 gigs. My guess would be someone for some reason only partitioned the drive for 3 gigs rather than the full 40 the rest could be unpartitioned and would not show up in Windows. If you have a floppy drive pop in a 98 boot disk and fdisk. If not you may have to use some kind of partition magic program.

Its only partitioned for 3 gigs. My guess would be someone for some reason only partitioned the drive for 3 gigs rather than the full 40 the rest could be unpartitioned and would not show up in Windows. If you have a floppy drive pop in a 98 boot disk and fdisk. If not you may have to use some kind of partition magic program.

Or right-click on my computer then click manage, go to disk management and format it. Might be a little quicker :)

Or right-click on my computer then click manage, go to disk management and format it. Might be a little quicker :)

Or you could just do that, lol. You mean you don't like my old school style 98 boot disk? jeez!

Not that I doubt it but I've never seen capacity in a HD go down because of damage. Loudness and frequent failure sure... but size?

one or more of the platter could be damaged which would result in a loss of storage. but i agree try the disk management and reformat the drive and if that does not work i would assume the drives a gonner (page file use maybe :) )

Edited by neddamttocs

Guest ajmatson
Not that I doubt it but I've never seen capacity in a HD go down because of damage. Loudness and frequent failure sure... but size?

I have actually had a lot of drive do it (Older ones) as errors are found it locks off those sectors and in turn reduces the drive size. I have been able to open them back up but data stored there is corrupted. I actually have one in my F@H server now that is a 20G down to 7.82G. :)

• 2 weeks later...