7800 gtx 512 SLI is equal to.......

Hey fellow OCers whats the happs? I am about to do an upgrade(CPU,MOBO,RAM), but I want to know if my MSI 7800 GTX 512 SLI cards r equal to any modern day card(Geforce 8 series cards) or r they just plain outdated? Could I get better performance by using a updated card? Or will I get an increase in performance with my current SLI setup cause I will be using a DUO Core CPU?

my 7800GT SLI @ 540/1300 is about the same as (or better than) an OC'd 7800GTX SLI setup, and the 3D strength is on par with a single 8800 series card, at a guess the 8800GTS 640MB... maybe the GTX... not much in it...

for CPU dependent (bottlenecked) games you'd get a healthy increase in performance moving to C2D

Looking at your system specs, I'd get a Core 2 Duo CPU and 2GB of RAM and call it a day. Looks quite nice already that system :)

Or maybe upgrade the cpu with a C2D and a new 8800 series card, keep the MB.( its-a-good'n ).

Wow. 512 7800GTX's in SLI with a Pentium D and 2x512 of RAM. That's bottleneck-city, man.

Forget upgrading the video. That's easily the best part of your rig. Pickup an SLI 680i board, an E6600 (or the newest equivilent after the July 22nd chips come out), and a good low-latency 2GB kit, and keep the GTXs. Let your current video hold you over for the next generation of DX10 cards, since DX10 does you no good at the moment.

Hey thanks for the input. I have taken Verran ideas my board of choice is Asus P5N32-E SLI CPU is going to be C2D E4300 overclocked (working with a very tight budget). As for ram I have had good luck with OCZ. I was looking at OCZ Platnum Rev 2 PC 6400 or do I need a faster set of ram?

Edited by savage70

6400 ram should be more than enough for you, even if you want to overclock. You may want to check out the July 22nd Intel info before you buy though. There are going to be a lot of new chips and a lot of price cuts for old ones.

Hey thanks for the heads up. I believe i will get the board and ram and wait for the cpu. Found a chart and it looks like the Q6600 will be alot cheaper than it is now($530 now July22 $266. By choosing this CPU will my choice of ram still be enough? I should be able to swing that much money by then. But then again...more CPU's....more decisions...need more advice.

6400 ram should be more than enough for you, even if you want to overclock. You may want to check out the July 22nd Intel info before you buy though. There are going to be a lot of new chips and a lot of price cuts for old ones.
Edited by savage70

Going to a quad won't change your ram needs at all. Also, I agree with king that the G.Skill HZ is a good set if you plan to overclock quite a bit. If you don't, you could save yourself some cash and get something like the G.Skill PK.

Also, the quad is a good idea if you use programs that can put it to work. There are currently VERY few games that benefit from a quad, and most applications that do are specialty-type programs. So it depends on what you're going to be doing with it. If it's for gaming or general purpose computing, I think you're better off getting a dual-core that will be faster, cheaper, and overclock better.