OCC Recomends Almost Everything

Vasto

I don't read PC Gamer that often, but I have to admit that those are the best articles, especially if the game has received any sort of public hype :)

It's kind of like watching really crappy reality television though. You enjoy it, but you kinda feel dirty like "why am I enjoying this?" When you think about it, it doesn't take a very talented reviewer to rip up a crappy game without mercy. Sure, it's funny to read, but I'm not sure I'd want to be known for that kind of review.

Agreed, but on the flipside, the bad reviews are often the best outlets to show the reviewer's creativity. There's only so much creativity that can go in a "typical" review.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but on the flipside, the bad reviews are often the best outlets to show the reviewer's creativity. There's only so much creativity that can go in a "typical" review.

I think you and I are on the same page there. A "blunt" review here and there on a deserving product does a couple of things. It shows some range, it allows you a better chance to get some sense of humor and sarcasm into your writing, and it also lets the users know that you're not just stamping everything with an "A+" and throwing it in the out-bin.

That's kind of the vibe I'm getting from this thread. OCC reviews better products, but I think in that case our standards have to go up a bit too. I think you can only see something like "OCC Recommended" so many times before it loses its value. That's why I really like the idea of different ratings categories.

No, I think we're talking about two different things here. What the others and I mean, is that the stuff being reviewed is mainly the top of the line stuff. That's great by itself, but not everyone can afford that top of the line stuff, so I would recommend reviewing some things that are more mainstream.

Examples: OCC has a review for a x1950xt, great, good card, acceptable price, but still, many people (like myself) will go and get the x1950pro instead because of the bang:buck ratio. The review of the 8800GTS 320MB from XFX is also great, a card that many people can afford (in the US at least, not here in Europe as prices are a ton higher! :(), but things like the 8600 or 8500 series did not get reviewed.

Bottom line is, great reviews on the great stuff (which has the bigger price tag usually), but the 'normal' mainstream stuff is reviewed very little.

Just making a suggestion :)

Ya there is more of that type fo stuff coming alot of it comes down to timing and availability that usually are biggest issues :(

Ya there is more of that type fo stuff coming alot of it comes down to timing and availability that usually are biggest issues :(

yeah, unfortunately you see that in the industry itself. How often does a company release a budget product before a high-end product? Almost never. They try to get people to throw their money at the highend product and they're like "oh, btw, here's this lower cost model in case you want a cheaper solution."

yeah, unfortunately you see that in the industry itself. How often does a company release a budget product before a high-end product? Almost never. They try to get people to throw their money at the highend product and they're like "oh, btw, here's this lower cost model in case you want a cheaper solution."

ya usually about a week after the consumer buys the highend model :rolleyes:

Guest Raven65

OK, almost two years ago when I came aboard staff as a reviewer, I was reviewing products that I purchased on my own, so the members had something. Then when some of the small companies started calling me to do reviews, all I heard was when is OCC going to start reviewing high end products? Back then, almost nothing got an award.

Well about 9 months ago, OCC started getting more exposure and some higher end products started making their way into our reviewers hands and those products began getting "recommended" and "editors choice" awards. No one complained then. Now OCC is able to choose what products to review and we can easily get high end products. So yes they are better and get more awards.

Now let me help out Bosco on this, What he was trying to explain is this: OCC started with low end products and has built up to where we are now. Although we may not review entry level hardware much anymore, we still on occasion will, but that hardware will be more towards the mainstream rather than the lower end.

If we started out reviewing only high end products and that is all we did, then the awards would be a lot less. But since we do review mainstream products along with high end, we have set what the parameters are to get an award.

"As seen on OCC" is not an award it is a mention.

"OCC recommended" means we are recommending the product to the readers because it has very good qualities about it.

"Editors choice" is the highest award and that is not easy to get.

So my question is this, we have finally done what our members have been asking us to accomplish for as long as I can remember. Get the latest and greatest, well if it's the greatest then it might get an award. Just to give an example, take for instance the Ultra-ChillTEC, it is a high end cooler, after writing it I went and looked to see what other reviewers thought, everyone gave them either editors choices or kick a## awards. No we are not trying to get product by giving awards. This is not how OCC works. OCC will also not refuse to review a product if asked either. Yes we choose what to review, but if asked we do not refuse. Some other sites may and if they only review $600 dollar items then that's why they have a different award system.

Also realize we are reviewing 5 products a week, other sites do one or two. So if the give one out of the 2 an award that is a 50%. we may give 2 out of 5 a recommended and 1 out of 5 an editors choice. so our percentage is a little lower. More reviews, more awards & less reviews = the awards will be less...because we are not reviewing 5 products a week. Our % reviews in a week is unheard of, so remember with more reviews there may be more awards. If we reviewed 2 products a week and gave maybe one award I don't think anyone would be complaining.

So are we spoiling you? Or are we giving everyone what they have wanted for years?

Thought something along those lines, I had to wait a couple of weeks for my X1950Pro myself :lol:

@ Raven, I see your point, but you seem to be a little lifted off the ground in that post. We did ask for great products to be reviewed, now there are great products being reviewed, but the definition of 'great products' is different from person to person. For me as an example, a great product has to have the best bang:buck possible in the price class that I can afford. That is a great product to me, that might (and I'm sure IS) different to other people.

Just have a look at the last few reviews, the price tags:

Thermaltake 1000W PSU: 329.99$

GT3 Case: 279.99$

Plantronics Headphones: 119.95$

NZXT Precise 1000W PSU: 359.99$

Sapphire HD2900XT: 439.99$ (according to newegg)

Lian Li PC-A08: 98.00$

Logitech X-540's: 99.00$

XFX 8800GTS 320MB: 339.00$

You see what I am getting at?

So are we spoiling you? Or are we giving everyone what they have wanted for years?

Yes and no. I don't really care too much what's reviewed... if reviewing better stuff is working out then that's fine - however I still think the ratings system needs attention

I'd agree with the star system.... that's the easiest for most people to understand. If you need more wiggle room, use 1/2 stars.

It's good to see OCC doing higher end reviews, but you need to remember the little guys that wont be looking for high end stuff as well. People like to know what sucks just as much as they like to know what doesn't.

To borrow from lego, "Yes and no". Like I said earlier.... It's good to see OCC doing higher end reviews, but you need to remember the little guys that wont be looking for high end stuff as well.

Most of your readers, while they like to read the reviews of high end products cannot afford to buy them. To borrow from someone else (and I forget who it was, sorry!) the most important thing for the largest number of readers is what gives the most bang for the buck? These are the items that your members will actually go out and buy.

I know what it's like to be a reviewer... it sucks to constantly review crap and low end items. When you're doing those kind of things, you dream for being able to review the fun, $500 widget from ultra flashy named company. But if you take a look, if you are reviewing something that you actually enjoy reviewing and have fun reviewing, you'll find that you loose a bit of the objectiveness that is needed for product reviews.

however I still think the ratings system needs attention
Heh... despite the semi OTiness that we've achieved, I don't think anyone disagrees with you lego. :P

Thought something along those lines, I had to wait a couple of weeks for my X1950Pro myself :lol:

@ Raven, I see your point, but you seem to be a little lifted off the ground in that post. We did ask for great products to be reviewed, now there are great products being reviewed, but the definition of 'great products' is different from person to person. For me as an example, a great product has to have the best bang:buck possible in the price class that I can afford. That is a great product to me, that might (and I'm sure IS) different to other people.

Just have a look at the last few reviews, the price tags:

Thermaltake 1000W PSU: 329.99$

GT3 Case: 279.99$

Plantronics Headphones: 119.95$

NZXT Precise 1000W PSU: 359.99$

Sapphire HD2900XT: 439.99$ (according to newegg)

Lian Li PC-A08: 98.00$

Logitech X-540's: 99.00$

XFX 8800GTS 320MB: 339.00$

You see what I am getting at?

Since when is $98 unrealistic for a Lian Li case? $99.00 for a 5.1 speaker system? Are those high end of the spectrum? I paid $350 for my speaker system, i would not consider $99 to high end. I paid $160 for my case ,affordable or not. I just spent $800 on 2 8800's and spent $1100 last year on 2 1900xt's for crossfire. $350 to $400 is a pretty realistic price point for a performance type video card. If i remember right i paid $310 for my 9800 pro a few years back. Are the majority of people buying online or paying the rent at a retail big box store, their local PC shop? These reviews are for good products that perform as intended. Some exceed expectations. Why not give it a recommendation to say to you the reader of the review that i would not hesitate to give my endorsement of that product.

What happens when we review a low end product that really is garbage and we express that opinion are you going to slam us for that to?

Thats my .02! :blink:

Guys, by the mix of people suggesting LOW and HIGH quality items in reviews, this would by default mean OCC would have to either:

a) Review a helluva lot more products or

b) Turn down premium new-to-market products to favour the likes of a USB Drinks cooler.

Let's think before we moan, eh? While I still maintain that a review is opinions through and through, I'd say that a lot of things I've edited don't have the best awards on them. Some don't even have any!

I will say of the things i have reviewed not 1 has been crap or did not meet or exceed my expectations. Quality products should be recognized and endorsed. IMHO! Products that have poor build quality and performance should not receive the same endorsement. Since this is an open forum at what point in your opinions should a product become recommended. Not editors choice just recommended?

A) When it performs as expected

B) When it performs better than expected

C) When it performs better than the comparison product

D)When it just blows away everything in the market

E) When i put my stamp of approval on it

F) All of the above

I am really curious. Sure a tiered rating system is nice but what is the threshold for recommendation? That is what this thread is all about not how it we can improve our rating system.