Water cooling

Winkers

Hello, Im new to water cooling. Learned alot so far. But there are some random stuff I need to know so I can start planing on how Im going to get this to work in my small case(lol). First things first, Is there a heatsink that would go on a Geforce 6600 oc for sli that fits a single slot motherboard that covers the ram as well the gpu? Second, I was looking at DD cpu blocks... I like both the TDX and the RBX...witch performs better?(you can post a different cpu block) Third, Would The 3/8 id tubing work on 1/2 id fittings? (I know it would fit on but what would that do to my pump and would it hurt the performance? Fourth, Can I hook up a pelt to my power supply?( using 1/2 the volts needed for longer life) Last of all... whats with ram cooling block? Do they work?

Hello, Im new to water cooling. Learned alot so far. But there are some random stuff I need to know so I can start planing on how Im going to get this to work in my small case(lol). First things first, Is there a heatsink that would go on a Geforce 6600 oc for sli that fits a single slot motherboard that covers the ram as well the gpu? Second, I was looking at DD cpu blocks... I like both the TDX and the RBX...witch performs better?(you can post a different cpu block) Third, Would The 3/8 id tubing work on 1/2 id fittings? (I know it would fit on but what would that do to my pump and would it hurt the performance? Fourth, Can I hook up a pelt to my power supply?( using 1/2 the volts needed for longer life) Last of all... whats with ram cooling block? Do they work?

Was it somthing I said? I would really like your guys help on this..... PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :D

I don't know about the GPU blocks without doing a quick check, but.

For the second part, I would recomend a Swiftec block instead of a DD one. 3/8 would work, but get good clamps that fit tightly all around otherwise you'll get leaks.

A pelt on a normal powersupply is a bad idea as it takes a lot of voltage to run, not to mention all the extra stuff you need to do, not really worth it imo.

Don't get a ram block, all they are for is looks and it just hurts performance of the loop.

Ok, first off if you've got 3/8 fitting use 3/8 line if you've got 1/2 fittings use either 1/2 or 7/16 tubing, you'll save yourself alot of hastle and possible leakage adapters from 3/8 to 1/2 are easy to fid if you're like i was in the past and need to use say a 1/2 radiator in a 3/8 system. Honestly though I would much rather have the extra flow of a 1/2 system.

I ahve personally come to LOVE swiftech water blocks, great quality and a good price. The new Apogee GT would be my pick atm. For VGA it would be a tiht fit with the MCW60, but looking at mine usign 3/8 line should work, even so I think it was hardnrg has a lower profile maze4 based setup on dual 7800gt cards that worked well, even so might want to checkinto that a bit more. As for ram cooling, dont worry about it, my 7900GT and every card i've ever had that had ram cooling OCed BETTER WITHOUT IT. the reason being they almost all use the GPU heatsink and therefore just transfer the GPU heat to the ram. if you feel the need however some simple ramsinks can under heavy OCs give some better ram cooling with proper air flow and wont hurt thouhg honestly, for 6600 class cards, I wouldnt bother, for the extra water cooling money you'll put into them you cna buy a higher end card that will beat the performance of thoes cards easy, and even more so if you sell the 6600s to fund the upgrade :)

And back away from the pelt, you're asking lots of questions and hoenslty that tells me you're new to this WC stuff, so even if you DO want a pelt, you'll be 100% better off taking it one step at a time and worrying about that and the power needs later AFTER you get things going.

Of course don't let me stop you form doign what seems like (and is) overkill, afterall I've seen plenty of times I should have taken my own advice about such things.

Well the pelt isent going to be used for the cpu or the gpu... I'm not totaly new... yes this will my first water cooling system but I work on one with a buddy of mine so I know some. And for the swiftech block... I dont really like the look... My case is open to see because of my window and I would like one that looks good that also performs and the TDX is the same as the Apogee GT when you look at it.... look at the base... the only difference is that one has a clear top and one's chrom top thats why I was looking at the DD blocks. As for the wattage for the pelt i currently have a 450 watt ps and say If I were to upgrade to a 1000 watt ps would that work? even if I just us one or two 80-120 watt pelt?

Edit: Oh and I will us 7/16 id but the 3/8 would work aswell right?

Edited by Winkers

Pelts pull some nice amps. What wattage pelt are you going to be using? We should be able to guess if you can use a PSU with a full system on it along with a pelt then. Not to mention using only half the volts pretty much negates even using a pelt. The point of a pelt is to get close to or below ambient without using a water chiller. If you use a big enough pelt you can go below ambient but...you need a beastly watercooling system to pull the heat way from the hot side of the pelt. 1 rad is not going to do it in this case, more like a triple and in some cases a really nice double. (Usually you see them on heater cores though). Pelts are really ineffiecient and are a niche even in the world of benchmarking and high end systems. You're better of going Phase or Chilled water.

Well the pelt isent going to be used for the cpu or the gpu

Then just what the hell IS it going to be used for?

TDX is the same as the Apogee GT when you look at it.... look at the base... the only difference is that one has a clear top and one's chrom top thats why I was looking at the DD blocks.

First off buying bc it looks good is a stupid decision, but as for design...umm let's just say no, not even CLOSE to the same.

Swiftech shoots for not restricting flow while maintaining large amounts of surface area in a block design:

a large area of diamond shaed pins for easy cross flow and a large surface area.

The TDX is more of a spray into the pins and let the water run back wherever it can type of block

Not even CLOSE to the same design.

While I dont have a problem with the the TDX, hell I almost bought one myself, but DO NOT say they are the same design, it's an entirely different concept and two VERY different base designs.

Oh and the swiftech blocks usually do alot better in lower flow systems such as smaller tubing (incase you do decide to go 3/8).

I think it was hardnrg has a lower profile maze4 based setup on dual 7800gt cards that worked well

yup low-profile Maze4 gpu blocks and 16x OCZ Cu BGA ramsinks... came as a "SLI Kit" :)

here it is:

06ramsinksmodfrontqh2.th.jpg 07ramsinksmodsideuh4.th.jpg 08ramsinksallsidemi3.th.jpg 09ramsinksallfrontcm6.th.jpg

10blockspacingcb5.th.jpg 11blockspacingtopam6.th.jpg 12gpublock2rotatedcf0.th.jpg 13completeloopxt8.th.jpg

As for the wattage for the pelt i currently have a 450 watt ps and say If I were to upgrade to a 1000 watt ps would that work? even if I just us one or two 80-120 watt pelt?

pluse it being half power usage (turning it down with a variable resistor)

Well the pelt isent going to be used for the cpu or the gpu...

I have a idea for the pelt and it wont be used for what any of you are thinking

cchalogamer sorry I might of saw the maze 5 base or somthing but I was rong. But looking at the 2 I dont understand the TDX block has a jet attachment dose the swiftech have the same? And wouldent focusing it the water in the place that needs it the most work better? But I still like the TDX :D

ok ill look at the low profile maze4 gpu blocks a bit more

Edited by Winkers

On the blocks I agree with whoever said get the Apogee GT or if you can find it the original Apogee. Both awesome blocks and have the least amount of restriction. for the tubing get 7/16 not 3/8 it will make your life much easier and just so you know when you go to do it. If you put the tips of the tubing in hot water before you put it on the pump its easier to get on. Also you prob wont have to use clamps on it. i would just to be safe but you more then likely wont have to.

For the radiator thermochill is awesome you said you have a small case so one might now fit. They are awesome though. For a pump Petrastechshop.com or whatever it is has a awesome pump with a custom top on it that will be killer for your system.