Official OCC CS:S Server!

sdy284

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea that's my upload, I have 30Mb/s down. Ran some speed tests and it definitely works near the advertised speeds.

Sweet...if you can get server running, that'd definitely be cool. I think tonight was a good demo of why we need a faster connection. lol

The last one I looked @ was 100 tick and it was $15.95 (Private).

Clan servers or something? those are low grade servers that get kinda bad registration.

What are these ticks?

The rate that the server sends/recieves/processes commands at.

they can be viewed by typing in net_graph 3 into console - the in far right value is the tick you are getting (set server side, and client side) good servers are 100 tick, you can set your rates (as long as the server is running the right values) optimum are cl_cmdrate 100, cl_updaterate 101, rate 25000.

now you have to have corresponding values set server side so that the server knowes to operate at those speeds. and anything over 66 tick really eats the upload. for comparison i have 120Kb up and i can run a 10 slot 66 tick server lag free (everyone averages 30-40ms) now the jump to 100 tick is alot more than the jump from 33-66 bandwidth wise, as well as CPU usage wise. There is also FPS to deal with (Not client side) the FPS that the server runs at, the stock install that Scott is using is no doubt about 90 fps, higher is better up to about 1500 then you get weird warpign issues. Ideal is about 1000FPS this chages the dynamic way the game engine tracks bullets, as well as other things changing the 'registration' of the server.

I hope that kinda explains the gyst of it.

I just remembered that I have a spare Sony Vaio desktop lying around the house. It has some decent specs, so I'll give that a try tonite. If it works out, then we can all finally stop complaining about lag and start blasting those Brits :P

There is also FPS to deal with (Not client side) the FPS that the server runs at, the stock install that Scott is using is no doubt about 90 fps

actually my server is running @ ~ 480 - 512 FPS ;)

post-8548-1176171062_thumb.jpg

actually my server is running @ ~ 480 - 512 FPS ;)

o.O you changed it though as im sure default is 90... but yes 500 fps are what the majority of server companies run at that or about 250-300ish.

just need more tick, and more upload!

jammin, markie and me were playing with minimal lag on there. however, you need to set up the gungame! :lol:

that, and dish out some admin rights, get some silly sounds in ... :P and you got yourself a weiner. even tho latency wasnt like, 20 or anything, it still worked out okay.