Buying an OS

CmpFreak88

Alright, trying to buy some copies of Windows XP Pro and come across a problem... well kinda. Went to Newegg and saw Windows XP Pro for 139.99 OEM with a coupon for an update to Vista. I didn't know if I could buy the OEM version because I thought somewhere on here it said it must be purchased along with the computer. Do you guys know of any good sites where I could purchase Windows XP Pro that would still have the upgrade to Vista? Thanks.

Also wondering if XP is going to be obsolete anytime soon? We're also planning on getting a copy for my grandparents and don't really want to change them into something too new that we don't know about.

Edited by CmpFreak88

unless something has changed, you can just buy ANY piece of pc hardware to get OEM software... so like... a sata cable qualifies for an XP OEM purchase... or at least, that's what some places do

unless something has changed, you can just buy ANY piece of pc hardware to get OEM software... so like... a sata cable qualifies for an XP OEM purchase... or at least, that's what some places do
I bought my copy of XP home OEM with a pack of thumb screws... ;)

I believe it was $79 about 3 years ago.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Operation System Software w/ Upgrade Coupon for Vista, OEM

its $82 now...

I agree. Get Media Center with the free upgrade to Vista and wait for service pack one for Vista before you install it. I, on the other hand, will be getting Vista Ultimate for free from an Intel deal.

---------------------------------------------------------

Windows Vista Ultimate - $-16

AMD X2 5200+ - $239

Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 Heatsink - $45

2Gb PQI DDR2 667 @ 4-4-4-12 - $135

200Gb ATA133 Hard Drive - $20

ECS KN3 SLI2 Motherboard - $127

e-VGA 7900GTO - $243

X-FI Platinum - $90

Logitech Z-5500 - $200

AeroCool Gate Watch 2 - $60

Samsung 16x DVD Burner w/ Litescribe - $30

Sony Floppy Drive - $4

52 in 1 Media Card Reader - $9

Gugabyte 3D Aurora 570 Case - $135

Ultra XVS 600 Watt Power Supply - $20

Logitech G15 Keyboard - $43

Logitech G7 Mouse - $35

Edited by ra2warroom

Just get it off of the Egg. It'll be alright. OEM just means that it doesn't come with the box and manuals and all that. Its basically just the product itself. XP shouldn't be obsolete anytime soon. Heck, people are still using Windows 98, let alone 2000.

How many renewals are allowed on OEM copies? I thought that OEM copies could only be used for 1 install and that's it.

OEM copies suck :(

I reformatted 3 times since late-2004 and only changed a harddrive, and now they want me to call and get a new product key...

Its well worth the extra $15 or so to get a non-OEM copy.