Occ Logo Contest

Bosco

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You know, after reviewing these things, I see 1 or 2 actual "branding" designs. The flame on the square is ok, but the best (which isn't saying much) is the odometer style OCC, however seeing that it has been done in photoshop says to me that this person has no concept of a logo. I'll see what I can conjure up today. Doesn't the contest end today?

What's the prize, again? Windows Vista Ultimate? Hmmm... Will you guys upgrade my PC so it will run?

however seeing that it has been done in photoshop says to me that this person has no concept of a logo.

does the tool matter if the logo is 100% vector art? i think not... i've made my own logos in photoshop and illustrator for a vinyl graphics place before and they didn't say "OMG you used photoshop, so your work doesn't count" lol

Edited by hardnrg

i've made my own logos in photoshop and illustrator for a vinyl graphics place before and they didn't say "OMG you used photoshop, so your work doesn't count" lol

Well they would say, we can't accept this if they needed an SVG file.

well, seriously, what are you talking about? SVG is just a form of vector file... and so is Illustrator AI format, and EPS, and even photoshop can be made up of pure vectors

out of the 20 or so vinyl graphics places i got a quote from, NONE of them had a problem with vector art produced in photoshop... and NONE of them even listed SVG as a required format... it was almost all AI or AI/PSD

i could render the logo @ 20,000dpi, or make it as big as a building for a silk-screened dropped cloth poster, and have zero pixelisation... that's what really matters... you don't need SVG to resize vector art since it's scalable anyway

Edited by hardnrg

My point is SVG is the W3C standard. I'm not saying it's not possible to create vector graphics in photoshop. And saying

i could render the logo @ 20,000dpi, or make it as big as a building for a silk-screened dropped cloth poster, and have zero pixelisation...
is redundant.

i think your whole argument about SVG format is what is redundant... a vector file that can render jpeg and gif files at any resolution is all that is needed here for this contest since the target format is a bitmap (gif, jpeg, and maybe at a stretch png)

why don't you stop talking ... and go make something better than everyone else if you think you know so much

I'm not saying I know more or am better than the next guy. I think there is a lot of potential in these ideas. And the fact that some of these people attempted says a lot. The effort in those people is awesome. However, I think it's important to know "what's in a logo" before going at trying to design one. It's important for a logo to be unique, recognizable, and timeless. CocaCola has had the same logo for many years.

OCC has hosted quite a few lans where I am, and they do a great job. I feel like I would want to return the favor by helping them with a logo that they can keep for a very long time that brands them as an organization. That being said, here's my input to the contest.

occ.jpg

I'd like to hear your feedback.

I'm not saying I know more or am better than the next guy. I think there is a lot of potential in these ideas. And the fact that some of these people attempted says a lot. The effort in those people is awesome. However, I think it's important to know "what's in a logo" before going at trying to design one. It's important for a logo to be unique, recognizable, and timeless. CocaCola has had the same logo for many years.

OCC has hosted quite a few lans where I am, and they do a great job. I feel like I would want to return the favor by helping them with a logo that they can keep for a very long time that brands them as an organization. That being said, here's my input to the contest.

occ.jpg

I'd like to hear your feedback.

The only one that says OCC doesn't even resemble anything. The others make even less sense. They may be great logo ideas for other sites, but certainly not OCC. The ability to make vector logos is great and all, but what's the point if you can't represent the site appropriately.

The only one that says OCC doesn't even resemble anything. The others make even less sense. They may be great logo ideas for other sites, but certainly not OCC. The ability to make vector logos is great and all, but what's the point if you can't represent the site appropriately.

:withstupid: We need something thats going to easily relate to our name or what we do here at OCC. Coca Cola has a unique logo, but you can also easily tie it to the company for obvious reasons. A few other examples would be mcdonalds, IBM, MTV or even HardOCP, demonoid or the pirate bay.

The flame on the square is ok, but the best (which isn't saying much) is the odometer style OCC, however seeing that it has been done in photoshop says to me that this person has no concept of a logo.

I'm going to try to objectively critique each of your eight submissions, but know that I found your first post (quoted here) very rude. Even putting the rudeness aside, your mouth his written an awfully large check for your skills to cash (figuritively speaking, of course). Let's assume the top row is 1-4 from left to right, and the bottom row is 5-8 from left to right, for discussion purposes.

1 - This looks like a decent logo for something.... Valve maybe? Though the outer ring's fading seems to kind of throw it off. I don't see how the yellow circles indicate OCC though. I mean the "O" is obvious, but I'm just not seeing anything else.

2 - I can see what you're doing, and how you could eventually figure that into "OCC", but I don't think anyone would get "OCC" out of that up front. I like the On/Off button idea, but I think it would be better to just use that, and not try to tie the OCC letters into that.

3 - Biohazard. This is not a shot at you, but I personally see the biohazard logo as one of the most "cheesy" pop-culture-embraced logos. I'd never use it for my own designs, just for that reason. Again, it's more a beef with the "cheesification" that the logo has suffered already, not your specific design.

4 - I'm sorry, but I'm just not getting this one at all. It looks like a drop of water or a tear. I don't see anything that relates to OCC in any way here.

5 - I'd probably pick this one as a favorite. It's simple, identifiable, and relates to computers. In fairness, it's just a power button turned sideways, but something like that is enough sometimes. There's a vague implication of the O and C in it which may be intended, but definitely doesn't feel "forced" like #2.

6 - Well, this one definately says "OCC". In fact, it's the only one that really does. But although it gets the name across, I'm just not feeling it at all. The black circle is offcentered, which I assume is intended, but makes the design look sloppy. The block-ish "C's" only encourage that vibe. I just don't like this one.

7 - Kinda reminds me of this from jammin, but more basic and not quite as eye catching. Sometimes simplicity can be good, but I think I like jammin's implementation of the idea better still.

8 - Maybe it's just my Zeppelin geekdom, but that reminds me a LOT of these. Kinda like the upper right and bottom left combined.

On the whole, I'm just going to agree with Clay. You seem to have a grip on what a logo "should" be, but that's only half the battle. It's also got to relate to the company/site somehow, and most of these just don't seem to do that very well.