What To Expect With A 3800+ ?

GlimmerMan

So I'm making a swap. My 3500+ for a 3800+ X2.

I'm going to buy a Titan Amanda TEC aircooler to go with it, what's the rough OC i should get with this chip.

Other 3800+ers please post your OC's

Specs are in my sig.

Hard to say without knowing the stepping. And even then you'll just be getting a ruff estimate of the best case scenario for what clocks it will get. Maybe you'll be lucky and get one like mine that would probably hit 3ghz with proper cooling (gone beyond 3 to 3134mhz but have yet to try and get 3 stable).

Edited by caffeinejunkie

seeing you have an Asus A8V mainboard, i wouldn't expect too much, as Asus is not known as the best OCers unlike DFI (like caffeine, so his OC will be a wee bit outta reach). That cooler looks like it will allow you to squeeze a couple of extra MHz's outta your processor, but it does look overkill to me!

If I lumped all of the X2s together I would probably say anything from 2.7-3.0. I have yet to feel the need to push my chip a little more (although Im only cheating myself) it runs only 2-3 degrees warmer than my venice @ 2.4.

I think it was bigred who said something like this "Asking how far can I overclock x is like asking how far can I throw a football"

seeing you have an Asus A8V mainboard, i wouldn't expect too much, as Asus is not known as the best OCers unlike DFI (like caffeine, so his OC will be a wee bit outta reach). That cooler looks like it will allow you to squeeze a couple of extra MHz's outta your processor, but it does look overkill to me!

What have you been smoking buddy? ASUS Motherboards OC very very well although I still would go with ABIT or DFI

What have you been smoking buddy? ASUS Motherboards OC very very well although I still would go with ABIT or DFI

For the AXP and AM2 sockets, I'll agree with you. However, with 939, they've been known to be just barely above a certain form of human waste......

I don't think the A8V was the best board for overclocking but the range has been 2.6 to the very lucky few who did 3.0 stable. Mine did 2.86 stable and could do super pi higher but i like stable. Mine was on a DFI nf-4 ultra-d.

I can run my 3800 on 1.55v's @2.8ghz on my dif mobo and get loads temps of 70c with stock fan.... if you have good cooling i think you could get 2.6ghz to 2.9ghz. if your lucky...

this was my old rig and I didnt care if i melted the whole lot... 70c is a bit hot to say the least.