School

nan0click

I don't normally post personal things on here, but its hard to find non-biased people these days around me, so here it goes:

I am currently in the 11th grade and have been homeschooling since the beginning of 10th grade last year, before that I went to a public school. I wanted to try homeschooling because I thought it would be something different but unfortunately I didn't like it, but my mom was so obsessed with the idea that when she "tried" to re-enroll me back into public school, I would supposedly have to take a bunch of Credit-by-exams to get credit for my school work (found out way later this wasn't true :(). So I continued homeschooling in August this year, with the intent to graduate a year early. Even though I'm a Junior, I had enough credits to do a dual-enrollment with my local community college, but I failed a US History 1401 this semester (I work 40hrs a week at a fast food restaraunt, from 2:30 in the afternoon until 11ish at night) because I missed turning in some of the online assignments. The requirements for continued dual enrollment include maintaining a C or above average and I made a high D.

So to sum it up, I can't do dual enrollment next semester, and I probably won't be able to graduate until at least the end of Fall 2007 (maybe as early as Summer if I work my . off). Even though I'm home schooled, I would still get a diploma and not a G.E.D. through the local organization because in Texas, homeschooling is equal to private school, but I really hate the curriculum choices my parents use. They are Christian and they take advantage of homeschooling to "shield" my sister and I from anything that doesn't jibe with the bible as they believe it by choosing curriculum written to coincide with scripture, so I'm trying to find a way to get a real education at home and hopefully graduate within a year. I only need a few more classes to finish, and I found an online high school (www.compuhigh.com) that looks like it might offer a good medium, letting me stay home and continue working, but not giving me the "censored" curriculum that is written based on beliefs not facts.

What should I do? I guess the choices are:

Bite the bullet socially, monetarily, and academically: Re-enroll in my old (or a different) public HS and graduate '08 like I'm supposed to

Do some kind of online coursework for a diploma

Get a G.E.D. :(

Just use the curriculum my parents give me, and hope it doesn't skip anything important

Also, I'll be 18 next October, what does joining the Military do about education, do colleges sort of ignore the content of a high school transcript if you spend some time (4 or 6yrs) in the military? I know you get tech-training, specifically for your job code, and won't they pay for your school or something like that? Assuming I graduate in Fall of 07, should I just join some division of the military and go from there?

It's a little overwhelming right now, because also, where I work, even though I'm 17, I have been offered a management position too, so I could graduate and then just stay out of college for a year while I work and save up cash, or work for a year and then join the Military in the Summer or Fall of 2008.

So many choices, what do you guys recommend?

So are you saying your mom lied to you so you wouldn't go back to public school even though you wanted to? *cou-psycho-gh*

Your parents can only "protect" you from the real world for so long, and then you're going to have to go live in it. Personally, I think you should go to regular school and get a real education, and not this kooky talk that your mom has planned. Homeschooling is one thing. What she has planned is something completely different. Yes, that means going for another year, but if I hear one more kid talk about trying to drop out or get a GED or get out early, I'm going to puke. It's a High School Diploma! For god's sake, do yourself a freakin' service and get it. High school is basically a default. You have to try pretty hard to not get through one way or another. Can you imagine the assumptions potential employers will make about you if you didn't get one? That may not be fair, but it doesn't make it any less true.

The other thing to consider is that a traditional high school offers you a lot more than just book smarts. It offers you a chance to learn to integrate with people. Despite what your mom might try to say, there are people in this world who are not staunch christians, and the sooner you realize that the better off you're going to be. If you're seriously considering serving in the armed forces though, then you'll learn that lesson there assuredly, so you don't have to worry so much at this point. Whatever you do though, get the diploma first. You will hate yourself later if you shortcut out of it now.

School in general is overrated, and I wasnt popular, but it taught me a LOT socially that I couldnt get elsewhere. You really do take the social lessons with you in an office environment. Just my .02

EDIT: Not to mention the dating pool in Public School is the largest youll ever have in your life... just a thought

@ Verran: I know, I went to one for a year, and I just recently told my parents I'm leaning towards agnostic, but that's only stregnthend their resolve. And dropping out or GED are not options really, I just listed them there because I knew they would get brought up. I can get an HS diploma even though I'm homeschooled because in the state of Texas, homeschooling is private schooling. The social aspect was a big reason why I wanted to go back last year, not to mention the teachers actually knew what they were talking about.

I will take a look at the required graduation credits for HS and see what I have now and what I still need, perhaps I haven't been screwed over bad enough yet.

So:

Public school

Charter School

Online Courses

will all get me diplomas, not GED's but which one is the best, they each have their advantages/disadvantages

Public - +social, +free, -less work hours, -not as flexible

Charter - +possibly free, or cheap, +fast, +shorter days, -possible cut in work hours, -not as social

Online - +keep my work hours, -expensive $1000/year (which isn't as bad as a private school, but still a lot), +self paced, +diploma

How hard is it to transfer mid year, like at the beginning of the Second semester?

Edited by nan0click

Ok, just step back and listen to yourself. Your considering not going to a real school (not saying that homeschooling isn't good, but my definition of school is much more than academics) so that you can work 40 hours a week flipping burgers?

Goto a real school, interact with people your age, get out of the house, have fun, go to party's, and just forget about working full time for a while.

As far as military goes.

USAF high school diploma needed, GED not accepted.

USN I believe the same as the Air Force.

USMC I believe will accept GED's.

US Army well, they take just about anyone.

the USMC and army will take a GED, however it only qualifies you for infantry or logistics (loading and unloading stuff)

Ok, just step back and listen to yourself. Your considering not going to a real school (not saying that homeschooling isn't good, but my definition of school is much more than academics) so that you can work 40 hours a week flipping burgers?

Goto a real school, interact with people your age, get out of the house, have fun, go to party's, and just forget about working full time for a while.

I completely agree. There are a lot of things to learn from public education that you wont get if you are home schooled. The people I went to high school with who took all online classes or got their GED on their own time always seems miserable and like the regretted doing so. Also, people who "take a year off" after high school usually don't go to college. When you start working it becomes much harder to go back. I know everyone thinks that it won't happen to them but once you get offered a little more money at work it is hard to leave. When all your friends graduate from college and end up making more you'll probably realize you made a mistake.o I understand not everyone is the same and sme people need to save money. I'm just pointing it out.