Skylines From Japan Partner

airman

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, that makes sense then...I saw 89 and was thinking that there's no way, no matter how rich my parents were, would they ever buy me a car worth over $10k as a first/second car.

Can you give anymore info on the car/how you imported it and everything? I would like to do this eventually (I've still got a few years) and it would probably be a track/show car only, so I doubt I would even have it registered.

Can you give anymore info on the car/how you imported it and everything? I would like to do this eventually (I've still got a few years) and it would probably be a track/show car only, so I doubt I would even have it registered.

only if you plan to have it uninsured.

i bought it new for $60k. dont let the name fool u, im on my brothers name, dont see the need for 2 OCC accts.

i got it when i went to england, got it imported and everything all through there.

i'm pretty sure most UK skylines are imported too ya know. just that RHD is the same here as Japan.

non-V-Spec will be imported to the UK - V-Spec will be UK standard.

yahoo motors:

"The Skylines oil coolers are located right behind the front spoiler, so even a light frontal tap can rupture these, rendering the cars engine susceptible to costly destruction unless its switched off quickly."

nice!

and the import guys talk about the fine engineering that they get, while americans have it so bad.

i'm just not a Nissan fan. while i appreciate they have some superb motors, something says: "don't buy me - honda and toyota are better!"

Red, we all know not everyone puts parts into cars without consideration :lol: just amusing when they do and it costs you a fortune for the worlds smallest prang :)

my god, I look at how things like that are protected in a modern pickup (NOT a GM one though). by the time you did enough damage to the trans / oil coolers to cause further damage... the engine itself would be wrecked!

I plowed the front end of a ram 2500 in, the engine ended up in the front passenger seat... and the block itself was still fixable and is standing by as a ready spare :) suprisingly a lot of that truck was salvagable... unlike the bmw it hit / destroyed.

I looked at nissan trucks in the past. they LOOK nice. have some build quality. but I have to agree that they're just not built to last. especially not considering the pounding we dish out.

of course we won't even talk about the tundra that didn't make it thru 6 months at the park... and it wasn't even taking a 1/4 of the beating the rams have. the ridgeline... YIKES what a pile of dung. I want to know who in their right mind and car and driver AND motortrend selected that as the pickup of the year in 06. did they not drive one? did they even SEE one? how much were they paid off for thier votes? it's a USELESS pile of BS truck. neat features it has... but they just fall appart or are totally impractical. 4 wheel independant suspension on it... jeez. and yes we did get a ridgeline to check out for purchase. I said no after 48 hours of it getting stuck and shredding the front suspension

I consider myself a "car guy" to some extent, and I definitely know the mystique of the "skyline" name, but personally, they've never really interested me outside of Gran Tourismo. It seems to me, though, that you guys are talking about this like you can just ship it over here, slap a new muffler on it and do some paperwork and you're all done. From what I'm reading, there's a LOT more to it than that. I'm assuming your car will have to be completely mechanically certified before they let you register it. THAT is what this company is selling for $20k or so. Granted, that still seems like a lot, but they're charging you for more than just parts and labor. They're charging you for expertise. They've pored over the laws and they know everything that needs to be changed and everything you can leave without a problem.

I'm sure you could do everything this company does for a lot less than $20k, but first you have to know WHAT to do. And I'm assuming you don't.

If you're serious about making this a DIY project, head on down to the Secritary of State. Tell them you've got a Skyline with a foreign VIN on a trailor in your lawn, and ask them what's next. Get the papers on all the certifications it has to meet. Figure out what you're really up against. I have a feeling you won't like what you see. I'd be willing to bet you have to pay for the certifications, and that you'll fail more than a few before you fix everything they want fixed. Add in the fact that you can't just buy bolt-on parts to solve your problem, and you're looking at a LOT of fab work and engineering.

I know having a Skyline would be fun, but I think you're in over your head. You can't even see the car before you buy it, let alone hear it run or drive it. And even if it gets here and runs, what if you can't convert it? It's not like you can fall back on the $20k plan, because it doesn't sound like you have anywhere close to that kind of money. That $10,000 import could turn into a beautiful lawn orniment real quick if your project doesn't pan out. Personally, I say buy a used WRX and wait til they bring the Skylines over to Infinity.

10k might get you a used SRT-4. If you dont mind the FWD that car will glue you to the seat under wide open throttle. Very fun car to drive and there is suprisingly little torque steer.