Totaly Dead Computer

Ok, I need some help with this one.

This morning I was going to transfer a podcast to my PSP. My computer told me it found new hadware and could not install the unknown USB device. So I think, "That's odd this hasn't happened before." So I go to device manager and try to reinstall the PSP. I go through everything turn off PSP unplug, plug it in again, uninstall from device manager, etc... nothing.

Ok, no big I'll just restart and that should fix it. Yeah right. Anyway I go get dressed for work while my computer is restarting. When I get back the computer is off. I think "dang did I hit turn off instead of restart?" Oh well hit the power button and... nothing. Huh, maybe I hit the reset button instead? Nope. By this time I'm bout panicking.

I have unpluged the computer tried to reset the CMOS, Installed a different PSU, Popped out the battery. I am stumped. There seems to be no physical damage anywhere. Is it possible that a virus could do this as I can't see any hardware damage?

The only thing that did happen the night before was I upgraded to a XP-90c heatsink. The little problem there was as I removed the old HSF the CPU came out of the socket. However reinstallation went off without a hitch. So again I'm stumped. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

hmm, well if the comp start and everything the cpu can't have been damaged by being pulled out of the socket, you checked the cpu aswell? just incase it being pulled out as well distracted you from another stage and it overheated as a result? maybe if you can lay your hands on a cpu that will fit to see if that is the problem?

I have unpluged the computer tried to reset the CMOS, Installed a different PSU, Popped out the battery. I am stumped. There seems to be no physical damage anywhere. Is it possible that a virus could do this as I can't see any hardware damage?

The only thing that did happen the night before was I upgraded to a XP-90c heatsink. The little problem there was as I removed the old HSF the CPU came out of the socket. However reinstallation went off without a hitch. So again I'm stumped. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Well this seems very odd. Its probably not the heatsink because I think if you installed it the wrong way or it broke the cpu you would have noticed it after you installed the heatsink and you have gotten problems when you trying turning on or using the computer.

It could be a virus because there are some virueses that go and wreak the bios. But I don't think thats what happended to your computer.

Thanks for the replies. I just tore the thing apart today again. Even took my old PSU to get tested, it was fine. So far nothing has helped. Gonna take it to the shop tomorrow and pay the freaking $$. I just hope it doesn't take em long to figure out what is wrong. At $75/hour I hope they're quick. :angry2:

Thanks for the replies. I just tore the thing apart today again. Even took my old PSU to get tested, it was fine. So far nothing has helped. Gonna take it to the shop tomorrow and pay the freaking $$. I just hope it doesn't take em long to figure out what is wrong. At $75/hour I hope they're quick. :angry2:

well one thing i would have tried (although its a shot in the dark) would be to unplug the power switch and arc the power jumpers with a screwdriver....your power button could have went out explaining why it wouldnt turn back on. hard to say in a situation like that.

well one thing i would have tried (although its a shot in the dark) would be to unplug the power switch and arc the power jumpers with a screwdriver....your power button could have went out explaining why it wouldnt turn back on. hard to say in a situation like that.

:withstupid:

:withstupid: Yeah it could have short or the switch may just be plainly done for. Try using another switch or something like that. But oh well I guess its too late because you already took it to a Computer Repair shop

Edited by QueenzPCfreak90