Reallly Confused With Ram!

many questions to ask..

when i looked @ xtremesystems benching on, most stable overclocked memory.. Crucial comes on top for 2gb... and when i look att he memory its timing is 3-4-4-8 like that another crucial on top was 4-4-4-12... well if you look at the ram i picked out ( OCZ plat ) its 2-3-2-5 ... why wasnt mine on top?... another question is what is TRCCD and that crap?... and another.. how do you over clock ram!? thanks for answering.

many questions to ask..

when i looked @ xtremesystems benching on, most stable overclocked memory.. Crucial comes on top for 2gb... and when i look att he memory its timing is 3-4-4-8 like that another crucial on top was 4-4-4-12... well if you look at the ram i picked out ( OCZ plat ) its 2-3-2-5 ... why wasnt mine on top?... another question is what is TRCCD and that crap?... and another.. how do you over clock ram!? thanks for answering.

605011[/snapback]

ok uhh where to start

The 4-4-4-12 sounds like ddr2, which hits way higher fsbs than regular ddr (ever heard of ddr2 800? yeah... it can run 1:1 with an fsb of 400 mhz)

TCCD, or TCC5 are chips made by samsung that are in ram (the black things lol)They are known to hit ~260 fsb or even higher at 2.8v or less at around 2.5-3-2-6

BH-5 or ch-5 or UTT are chips that can hit ~260fsb at 2-2-2-5 but require a lot more voltage than TCCD or TCC5 chips (more than 3.5v)

Tho you cannot get these in 1gb dimms... as 1gb dimms use higher density chips which is why they suck for overclocking, technology hasn't advanced far enough

As for the OCING ram question, when you set your CPU fsb higher you also increase the ram (fsb, the connection between the ram and cpu)so say you have a P4 clocked at 200mhz fsb, and a multiplyer of 16, that'll give you a speed of 3200 mhz. You can't change multiplyers most of the time, (tho a64s you can lower the multiplyer) So your ram would be running at 200 mhz (or 400 mhz Double Data Rate)

I wouldn't say that 1gb sticks "suck" for overclocking. They certainly can't get as tight of timings as 512mb sticks but they scale up to 290-300FSB fairly well. I would rather have 2gb at 3-4-4-8 then 1gb at 2-2-2-5 anyday.

except that 2Gb offers no real advantage right now and limits your overclocking to a degree

607139[/snapback]

yeah... try playing BF2 at even meduim settings and watch the choppiness begin, many of the newer games are using more memory too

yeah... try playing BF2 at even meduim settings and watch the choppiness begin, many of the newer games are using more memory too

607142[/snapback]

there was a review recently by anandtech or someone reputable that showed a maybe 1-2% performance increase in BF2, but nothing noticeable, every other game ran the same.......

downloading the BF2 demo now, again, to run it and see where this choppyness occurs on a 1Gig system

Edited by habitual geek

there was a review recently by anandtech or someone reputable that showed a maybe 1-2% performance increase in BF2, but nothing noticeable, every other game ran the same.......

607143[/snapback]

yeah.. try playing the game and stop reading the benchmarks... anandtech is pretty much paid to write good reviews, the benchmarks on bf2 are played in one single sport in the map, and that spot is in the ram, but if you move around the map you'll have to wait for it to load off the hd...

try flying from one end of the map to the other, it stops several times because it uses the pagefile off the HD, anyone playing bf2 at high-meduim please back me up...

you know what... i won't even continue... it'll end up like the last several times before...