Thermalright V-1 Vs. Ati Silencer

Stripe

Which of these two VGA coolers is held as better for cooling both RAM and the GPU? I'm looking at upgrading my Tt Giant III with its Vantec Tornado (80mm) mod, and any suggestions about a new sink would be great, cheers!

http://www.systemcooling.com/thermalright_v1-04.html

Once the four screws are tightened the installation is complete. However, the image below illustrate one shortcoming of the V1, at least as far as the nVidia 6800 cards are concerned. The design and placement of the base and heatpipes is such that the user will be unable to cool the memory chips on the board. With most cards, this is of only modest concern, but we were a bit worried given that even the stock cooler of the 6800GT also cools the memory, as well as most aftermarket coolers we've looked at. Only time will tell if this is truly a problem.

I've seen elsewhere that it may actually come with ram sinks? I would check this out, also since the fan is on the back, it wont be blowing onto the rams even if they do have sinks.

just food for thought

the review i was looking at for the V-1 shows that you can whack on a fan to BOTH sides of the hs, even though it only comes with 1 fan... And it comes with 8 aluminium BGA RAM sinks. Also, this is for a 9800XT. I don't think i mentioned that.

the review i was looking at for the V-1 shows that you can whack on a fan to BOTH sides of the hs, even though it only comes with 1 fan... And it comes with 8 aluminium BGA RAM sinks. Also, this is for a 9800XT. I don't think i mentioned that.

548850[/snapback]

While it comes with the ramsinks, they dont fit all cards. plus you have to keep in mind that teh air stays INSIDE the case. Even with these flaws, it still cools the GPU better, but possibly not cooling the ram and causing a rise in ambient case temp both bother me. alot of ppl argue the ram doesnt need cooling, but i know on my x850xt the backplate covering the ram gets HOT, so it definaly generates heat. both are great coolers, but i would look into the fit as far as the ramsinks go.

yeah, the ramsinks in the review didn't fit the demo card he was using (some sort of 6800 i believe) and the ram oc on my card is lowest of the two (439.2, 379.8 from 412, 365), which is why i'd like a better ram solution than the giantIII offers.

Case temps for me are no problem, i have so much flow through i'm keeping room ambient temp inside the case.

What is the ram cooling like on the ATi silencers in people's experience?

Even system ram benefits a bit from cooling...the thermalright is a great gpu cooler but if you cant fit ramsinks on your card i would not go for it. With most graphics cards ram oc nets a higher score per mhz then core anyway, plus it will raise the case temps over the silencer.

If you are really that concerned with cooling everything as much as possible though your best bet(besides wc pelts) is to mock up a cpu cooler and custom ramsinks to fit your card.

if you're arent fussy with ram cooling, V-1.. but hot air will stay in your case. :P

if you're fussy with ram cooling, arctic silencer and hot air will be exhausted out of your case. though i think with most GDDR3 ram modules, just having a decent airflow over it with or without sinks will do just fine :)

the systemcooling review pretty much says it didn't come with ram sinks, it was probably an early production sample

if you notice the other two reviews, the reviewer just decided not to use them.......i think they realized too late what had to be done and didnt care to take it all apart again

the V1 definately performs the best, but for a no fuss easy solution the Silencer will work i guess, it's simple anyways and better than most stock coolers