Paintball

Vasto

Well after working the entire summer, I have decided to get into paintball and waste all that money I earned. I am looking to spend around 200 dollars for everything (gun, mask, whatever else I need). I don't know all that much about guns, and have had a hard time finding a site like epinions for paintball guns. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/...rentPage=family

What about the Tippmann Custom Pro?

541012[/snapback]

dont let these guys tell you to buy more expensive i use a Tippman 98 C and i beat people with Angels all the time

it is the player that wins not the Marker(gun)

as long as you have a well built marker and it doesnt break balls it is you that makes a good player NOT the Marker

also i see people saying thay have played for a long time

I played since '86 is that a long time? mabey before most of the "players" were born

also Pendragon is absolutly correct that is the most important thing

if you put out an eye PLAYING you will never forgive yourself

Edited by contra33

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend starting out with a pump. You'll learn CO2 and PB conversion, and will learn to aim better too. Mainly because you'll be shooting off one PB instead of spraying 30.

And don't skimp out on your mask or gun. Especially the mask. Get one that dosn't fog up and fits you comfortably. And NEVER play with jackasses who freeze paintballs or shoot in the wrong areas at point blank.

And remember: SIZE DOES NOT MATTER! A skilled player with an 8" barrel will be much better off then a mediocre player with a 20" threaded barrel.

oh yeah, mask, make sure you get one with a thermal lens. I have a JT and love it.

Sometimes you dont even need paint, this video is of a freeze tag game, so there were 4 people in this bunker that I rushed. *I'm the one in a yellow T shirt, Sandals, and Shorts.

4 with None.

ya thats a good good kit for startes, i myself have a trilogy autococker with compressed air and an eggy.

541450[/snapback]

first of all NEVER EVER EVER use a trilogy while they are cheap they cannot be upgraded and they just flat out suck and they aren't worth the price of the air tank

id say go for the base end wgp autococker and a big co2 tank... 200$ inst enough id say 200$ for gun and 150$ for mask c02 and hopper

541457[/snapback]

you also never ever use CO2 with an auto cocker it wrecks O-rings and throws off your timing bad news if you are goign to go the way of the autococker(which is not recomended for beginners) use compressed air

tippmann 98/custom are the best starter guns.

first of all NEVER EVER EVER use a trilogy while they are cheap they cannot be upgraded and they just flat out suck and they aren't worth the price of the air tank

you also never ever use CO2 with an auto cocker it wrecks O-rings and throws off your timing bad news if you are goign to go the way of the autococker(which is not recomended for beginners) use compressed air

this is the best advice I have seen on this thread... tippman 98 customs are the best for beginners and even up to intermidiate you can upgrade the crap out of them and the last forever literaly they never break.

the other choice is the smart parts ion which is the cheapest gun that shoots over 19 BPS

however if you are going to just go play every few months then just go with a stock spyder and CO2 they actually aren't horrible guns and you wont be able to tell the difference playing wise

but otherwise I would go with either of these choices:

tippman 98 C with either air or CO2 (air is prefered as it is cheaper in the long run)

180 for the gun + 150 for an air tank or 20 for CO2 + between 35 and 95 for a mask + 50 for a hopper

Linky this package at action village is gun+CO2+mask+hopper so everything you need for 160

or

get

the smart parts ION with air

ION for 250 + air +mask + hopper

or for the not very often player

electronic spyder 150 or mechanical spyder for 30 + CO2 for between 15 and 30 + and same hopper and mask

541534[/snapback]

isent the ion capped at 14? or is ther a new board for it?

personally i haev been playing paintball for 5 years, and ill give you some experience from firsthand knowlege.

start out with a slow mechanical gun tipman, cocker, mag, etc. as the abilty to shoot a few ball per second will teach you to take carful aim, and not rely on shear volume of paint to win. personall i an a HUGE fan of teh Autococker series. not to keen on the trilogys as you cannot upgrade 3-way, Ram, etc. so yes start out with a tipman 98, and get a smartparts FREAK, or All American barrel to go with it and it will shoot very straight. get a JT mask that has a Thermal Lense (these help prevent fogging but not always), and some kind of a co2 tank for it (go to a local proshop and check out the sizes) and then a gravity feed hopper, or a revy would be fine for your application. and away you go. see if you can find a package, i know they sell them at my proshop (gun+tank+hopper+mask) and most of the tiem tehy are the tipmans. DO NOT BUY AN ANGEL, sure tehy are light but tehy are WAY overpriced and not worth the money, i haev owned 3 or 4 of them over teh years and they are all hype. and most of all play LOTS, practice, practice, practice.

go to your feild on kids days and watch what the more expereienced players do try to copy them in everyway, and play against people who are better than you, even though you may be losing everygame you are learning ALOT.

hope this has helped you, here is my current setup(s) for balling. (i play for a local team so i spend ltos on paintball)

Backup:

2004 Autocker

10" Full FREAK kit

Pure Energy 68/4500 Fiber Compressed air tank

Reloader B (sound activate feeds 32BPS+)

(this is the gun i use most of the time unless im playing in a tournament because it teaches accuracy.)

Primary:

Dye DM5

Crossfire 68/4500 Fiber Compressed air tank

12" All American barrel

Angry Halo (more than 40BPS)

CP Reg

Eclipse OOPS

CP Micro drop

Power Angle

and a Mussasi 3 chip.

(this is my tourny gun)

out of my 2 guns that i currently have i enjoy playing with the autococker alot more.

You shouldn't be so hard on the trilogy series, just remember they were never meant to to full blown autocockers, but rather a step up from some mechs and an introduction into the autococker world. Even with the stock barrel they are very accurate which imho is the most important aspect of this sport anyway...btw with a special adaptor they can be ebladed but thats probable going overboard.Whatever you do don't skimp on you mask its everybit as important if not more than the marker you choose go here reviews

I have heard that the tippmanns are easy to clean (pretty mucch drop into a tub of water) and that they are durable. I am going to be mostly playing in woods/fields not official places.

What is an autococker? And also is everyone recommending the 98 Custom over te Custom Pro?

Also, how big of a tank do I want? 2x9oz? 1x12oz?

Edited by Vasto

Well you wouldnt wanna drop a tippmann in a tub of water, but they certainly are relatively easy to clean.

Autocockers are finicky high end guns that I wouldnt recommend for Recball.

I would go for 1x12oz, seems to be perfect size for me.

Tippmann 98 Custom, stock: $125

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERS...xUAAAD3EsKlA_2s

Thermal Mask: $25

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERS...yAAAAD30kalA_2t

12oz CO2 Bottle: $13

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERS...ScAAAD38lilA_2t

Tear Drop Barrel: $35

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERS...IUAAAD3wiylA_2t

Hopper: $6

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERS...AAAD37D%2elA_2t

Total: $204+Shipping

That's with a 12ounce tank, Tippmann 98 Custom, Aftermarket Barrel, Thermal Lens, Hopper. Heck, while you're at it, why not order a case of paint instead of paying $20 a bag B&M, but go for $50 for 4 bags and you can sell 3 of them for $18 each and play for free. :P

I have heard that the tippmanns are easy to clean (pretty mucch drop into a tub of water) and that they are durable. I am going to be mostly playing in woods/fields not official places.

What is an autococker? And also is everyone recommending the 98 Custom over te Custom Pro?

Also, how big of a tank do I want? 2x9oz? 1x12oz?

541579[/snapback]

If you'll be in the woods a lot, then the tippmann will be GREAT for you. They come in black or camo, not rainbow colored like a lot of those markers.

Also, they are VERY durable. There are only 2 parts in the gun that can actually rust, and those are two springs. It is easy to strip, easy to clean. Between mild games just spray some WD-40 down the barrel to keep it lubricated and it'll never fail you. I've dropped my gun into a pool of mud, picked it up, and used it for the rest of the day with no problems. I've played winter games where everyone elses guns were freezing up. (balls freezing, bolt mechanism locking up from freezing perspiration), those of us with the 98 customs were the only ones that didn't freeze. I play in the woods, the brush, the mud, the water, I have a 98 custom and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Okay okay, i got your messages vasto :P

Looking over this thread.

If you really are that low on cash and got 200 USD total to spend.

Get a Tippman98 Custom. They are very reliable (Which is why they are almost always used as rental guns). Just take good care of it. Make sure you maintain it properly after every day at the field.. Get a 20oz C02 Tank, and a normal gravity feed hopper / 12volt hopper. Will do you fine.

What did i start out with?

A piranha.

Do i recommend it?

No, nor a spyder.

Make sure you get a good mask and trust me when it comes to masks you get what you pay for. Get something with a thermal lense. I recommend something from JT (i am supposed too) XD.

If you're looking for a safe, thermal, and well priced mask.

Take a look at this. The JT Spectra Thermal.

With that stuff, go to your local field, and make sure and try speedball if you can. Not just rec ball. Get a feel for both. After awhile once you choose if you want to get more into speed ball. Contact me again.

Don't forget to get a barrel condom (and use it or be yelled at ont he field).

For those curious.

My rig(s).

Upgraded Impy with vision

Upgraded Shocker 2k3 (love it)

Stock older (2000?) Black Magic (won it, i lone it out to friends)

70ci 4500psi Crossfire (best N2 tanks i've used)

Evo hopper with older board (x?) on impy and newer board (y?) on the shocker.

Keep your mask on. Be safe. Have fun. Love paintball ;)

Ok I play professinal so I think I know What Im talking about. Ions are very good guns for the money but if you only have 200, Ions are 300. But I can get you one for around 250ish since I have a Vendor's lincense. Tippman a-5's are very good guns also for beginngers. I would get A A-5 if you plan to do more woodsball than airball or speedball or if you plan to do more speed/air ball get an ion. There Capped at 17 Bps no matter what you do to them. NOTE: if anyone askes I neer recommend the A-5 I can get sued for that lol.

I started out with an A-5

Incase you cared.

A-5 then got e-grip and flatline

2k4 vison shocker with upps

Special edition dm4 with ups

Current gun(S)

P.E Ego

Shocktech shocker- Sponsor's payed pretty much for that gun.

Edited by Shadowfactor

A friend of mine had his ion ramped to somewhere around 28 bps...thing was wicked, and amazingly accurate. I shot a stock ion and it felt very good.

In the end I think it is more down to the player not the marker. Get good with a cheapo, learn to shoot when it is windy as crap and shooting while jumping/diving/sliding.