Mustang Owners

Bosco

This is for all you Mustang owners or people that someone that has one:

Well since I am from Canada and nobody knows anything about Mustang's around here I figured that I would come to you guys for some help. What I have is a 89 Mustang LX 5.0L I replaced the motor about a year ago and of course they screwed up and put the wrong cam in it so the next thing that I am doing is a 351 Cam.

Anyways here is the list that I have done so far:

Under Drive Pulley's

Electric Ford Racing Fan

MSD Box, Coil, Cap, Rotor, and Wires

Air Intake With K&N Filter

Summit Racing Water Pump

Jet Performance Racing Chip

New Headers and Flowmaster 40 series Exhaust

Center Force Clutch

Traction Bars

Front Brake Lock

Front and Rear Sway Bars

New Gas Shocks

New Braking System

Now I have decided when I do my cam I going to change the Intake and Manifold at the sametime, as well I am going to change the Mass Air Sensor and Throttlebody ( Its worn out anyway). So my question is what would you guys suggest for the best power increase for a intake, I would like to keep my stock hood so I want nothing really high. I have looked at Edelbrock, BBK, Trickflow, and the Cobra Intake but I have no idea which one to get. I also worried about the injectors will I have to change them or will I still notice a power increase without doing them? Will my stock computer be ok? Any suggestions that you may have I would like to listen to them, this is going to be an expensive upgrade and I want to do it right.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well assuming you are staying 302 based ..i know what i had that worked well for me before i made the move to a stroked 351

306 (302 bored .30 over)

Edelbrock Extrude honed Intake (upper and lower) polished

GT-40-X ported aluminum heads angle cut valves

X cam 502 intake 502 exhaust (if i remember correctly)

1.6 roller rockers

30lb fuel injectors

hurst shifter

80mm mass air meter

70mm throttle body

Paxton Novi 2000 supercharger

3:73 gears

190 internal fuel pump

tremec 5spd transmission

175hp dry kit nos

Long Tube headers w/matching h-pipe

15x8" weld draglites with 275x60x15 tires on the back and skinnys on the front

bah its been so long since i had it...i cant remember the specs.

Sheesh and I thought that I was getting carried away :lol:

Ya I am staying with the 302 for now anyway :ph34r:

I am going to put a 351 cam into and then start the upgrade from that.

Did your Edelbrock Extrude honed Intake (upper and lower) polished make a big difference?

95 mustang gts, springs / shocks, ud pulllies, intake, sfc's, tri-ax, flowmaster catback, and a few other minor mods.. cant afford anything more right now but stop by Stangnet.com's forums and say hello!!

Sheesh and I thought that I was getting carried away :lol:

Ya I am staying with the 302 for now anyway :ph34r:

I am going to put a 351 cam into and then start the upgrade from that.

Did your Edelbrock Extrude honed Intake (upper and lower) polished make a big difference?

531506[/snapback]

It made almost no difference until I added the supercharge...orrr unless I was using NOS. The bigger intake actually opened it up so much that it only had horsepower in the high high high rpm range...but I also had a high lift cam....so..it was built for top end more so than bottom end horsepower.

I like the new bbk upper intake. To make use of an intake upgrade, You'll want a bigger throttle body/ mass air meter. A set of 24lb injectors would be a good idea at the same time(maf meter needs calibrated for larger injectors anyway.) You think about getting new heads. I know thats a pricy upgrade, but any aftermarket aluminum head will give you 35+ rwhp at a minimum, probably a bit more with the intake/exhaust changes. But after anything, you'll need to have it tuned. Best bet to have a new chip burned.

E303 is very common..I'd personally go with the F cam if i were you. It's the inbetween of the E and the X....I had the X....people say the X cam won't work without headwork due to clearance....it fits..it's REAAAL close though :)