So Many Distros

apostolics

im sick and tired of ms and i dont like where longhorn went so i see linux as my beekon of light. can some one help me find a no nonsense guide or maybe just your good advice. i already have red hat 9 and so far its not working with my hardware. the thing is i would like a gui because im not that great at command line and i dont see the use for it as an end user setup. i will try to learn the command line though.

i went to linux.org but its outragious the amount of different distros

That was a nice find jeremy.

Im in the same boat as you apostolics. I went with slackware, because i figure I might go all out and learn linux inside and out. Then when vista comes around I can aviod it like the plague (which it will probably be)

I don't recommend using slackware if you are a beginner. The install is far from user friendly and takes time to fully get X up and running. If you are a serious beginner, I suggest you start with Fedora Core and then migrate to another distro. Just remember to try and not become dependent on RPMs to install programs and libraries. Doing so will only make it more difficult to move on to a more complex distro.

Btw, once you go bash, you'll never go C:\> .

GrammarNazi note: Beekon is not a word. The word you are looking for is "beacon".

:withstupid: I second that . Im starting with FC4 and I thought it easy to setup after aris helped me with a partition problem (my fault). It is fairly easy to use i feel. I like the look and feel almost better than Xp. My suggestion is to start with FC4.

• 2 weeks later...