The Grandma Project

gunak87

well i bet you she will ask you everything 24/7 even if she had a dell

i mean look at her from her point of view "Call some stranger on an 800 number" or "Call my grandson that i love and trust"

lol she will call you no matter wut

so might as well build it yourself and save her some bucks, you know old people usually dont have much money or are quite frugal if they have alot

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I'd get her these good parts is because I she won't want to upgrade any time soon. An few extra bucks now would be better than many future upgrades.

uh why would she need to upgrade, for internet and word proc, you won't need to upgrade in like 15 years....

509025[/snapback]

That's what we always say. We weren't ever supposed to fill up 10MB of RAM either.

uh why would she need to upgrade, for internet and word proc, you won't need to upgrade in like 15 years....

509025[/snapback]

/agree

I don't want to talk you out of quality parts, but you're building a pretty high end system for something you describe as a "internet surfing and Quicken-type applications" PC.

I honestly think if you pick up a Duron, motherboard with integrated video, and 512 of generic ram not only will you save a few hundred dollars, but it'll be WAY more than grammy will ever need. Upgradability is great, but a "web surfer" type PC should really never need an upgrade.

I honestly think if you pick up a Duron, motherboard with integrated video, and 512 of generic ram not only will you save a few hundred dollars, but it'll be WAY more than grammy will ever need.  Upgradability is great, but a "web surfer" type PC should really never need an upgrade.

509028[/snapback]

It may be really fast and not in need of upgrades now, but in three or fours years, after Longhorn in released, it's very possible for things to change. Thing like USB 2.0 and Firewire have a good chance of being replaced/upgraded.

besides when u think of upgrade, whats the first thing u think of in terms of why they would need to upgrade, Games come to mind, but since she won't ever.... U see my point?

It may be really fast and not in need of upgrades now, but in three or fours years, after Longhorn in released, it's very possible for things to change. Thing like USB 2.0 and Firewire have a good chance of being replaced/upgraded.

509029[/snapback]

Dude, what are you talking about?

I really don't mean to stay on your case or anything, and it's your call so you can do what you want, but...

LONGHORN? Are you serious? USB 2.0? Firewire? Why does grandma need any of that stuff? . man, for a user like that, you could use win 95....

It sounds like you're building this for you, not her. Building a web surfing box in anticipation of Longhorn might be a bit much, don't you think? And as far as whatever comes after USB 2.0/Firewire, I think it's safe to assume it won't have any impact on grammy.

Like I said, you don't have to justify it to me, it's your call. Hell, I'll never even see the thing. But if you're asking for input, I'm saying you're wasting $200-$300 on that system. I used to hate the idea of buying low budget systems too, but what I hate even more is . money away on stuff someone will never use.

Maybe he wants to build this comp so that whenever he goes over granny's place, he'll have a decent comp to play with. Maybe load a game or two to kill some time while there ;)