Fileserver

galla2k4eva

Hmm, there's a console utility that grabs DMI info.... but that's all I have come across.

It'll probably be enough to tell you the make of the board and how much RAM it's got and... in what slots / how big the sticks are each

EDIT: *sigh*... gotta love how OCC mungs that output :)

Have a picture showing what RAM is in what banks / the size of each stick on my briefcase pooter instead...

post-70939-13043052050177_thumb.png

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does that come with freeBSD? do I have to download it? how do I run it?

510013[/snapback]

Read in to installing software using "ports" :)

First thing I would recommend you do is install cvsup (if it isn't already), update your ports tree (the handbook shows you how to do this), then install "portupgrade".

cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade

make install clean

*then wait while it compiles*

Once that's compiled and installed, to install "dmidecode" should be as simple as running:

portinstall dmidecode

:)

you guys are speaking a different language . darn if there was away to learn from other ppl. i would love it

510050[/snapback]

:lol: There is a way to learn from other people, it's called reading and asking questions ;)

Okay I'm going to read up on that tomorrow. Playing KO atm.

510068[/snapback]

KO being Kal Online? I might have to start playing... I need to get addicted to something to pass the time..

KO being Kal Online? I might have to start playing... I need to get addicted to something to pass the time..

510355[/snapback]

Nooooooo stay away from the darkness! :lol:

I've tried Kal and didnt find anything special at all about it...it seemed like every other mmorpg thats out right now, and was pretty dang boring. I recommend Conquer over kal anyday - the 3d models on 2d backgrounds look amazing( ), and its much more fun IMO. Buuuuut others seem to love it so I guess its best to try as many as you can until you find the one you like...I seriously must have tried every free mmorpg out before I settled on conquer :P, but you may love Kal.

K on topic Puck!!! Durons run fairly cool(oc like beasts too), and it should serve you well in a server box. You may also wanna think about looking into Fedora. Of the distro's I've tried it was the easiest to switch from windows, fast install, and ran "snappier" on the aged system I had it on. Perfectly usable speed on a HORRID 233mhz cyrix box. Fastest os that system had seen, none of the windows could keep up(tried 95-xp). Even if you dont keep it its a great first intro to linux :D . I would probably keep it if they made benchmark programs for it! :lol:

KO being Knight Online lot like Kal but better.

All I need is a bigger HD, Case and PSU =D

Already got Case and PSU picked out

http://www.computerorbit.co.uk/Itemdesc.asp?ic=211U&eq=&Tp=

510364[/snapback]

Looks like pretty much all you need :) The PSU in my briefcase ( !!! :) ) is.. 300W I think, with a dodgy masking tape/electrical taped fan replacement bodge job!

haha that cannot be safe!

Trying to think of ways to liven the case up but keep it quiet and cool.

510682[/snapback]

:lol: no it's probably not really :D the fan in the PSU was fine for the first day of use, then overnight it just.... gave up and started making a hideous noise so I had to replace it. Not the first PSU I own that's had that treatment either :rolleyes:

Well, if you don't need a CD drive you could put a little character LCD in the front two drive bays. A 20x4 display fits in two drive bays like that case has :)