Fileserver

galla2k4eva

If you can get past the whole partition / slice part, you'll probably be alright. That is the only thing that confused me when I first installed it.

In BSD land a "Slice" is what you would call a partition, and a partition is a BSD specific thing which is like... a... "sub" partition.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got some errors from partiton magic when I tryed to resize the existing partition.

I've burned the FreeBSD install disk, I'm probably going to be able to get pretty much all the systems parts from a pile of computers waiting to be thrown away where my dad works so I'll got here at the weekend probably, might be next weekend or next friday though. If I get the basics running (Windows wiped, FreeBSD on) then I think I'll probably be able to bring it home and finish up here.

EDIT: Wasn't expecting this to become a hot topic. :blink:

Aahh.. that's a poo.

If you can get hold of an old system to mess about with first that would probably help and just generally be "A Good Thing". Good chance to go through the install a couple of times and get the hang of the whole partition / slice thing.

Well since I dont have any cash that 'old system' will end up as my fileserver =/ think the fastest one is 1.8Ghz =/ Biggest hard drive is a 30Gb Maxtor (ide)

507978[/snapback]

I was using a P1 133MHz beast - without the external cache module as it didn't POST with that thing in - for a couple of years, acting as my little home server (which does everything for my little home network). Only had 64MB of old EDO RAM :)

Suppose for a file server you'd want a bigger disk, but :)

Well I suppose it will be quite good then :P

Gotta pretty it up, quiet it down before I start using it  :D

508013[/snapback]

Yeah, 1.8GHz would be more than enough for a home thing, definately. That 133MHz machine was amazing. Chugged along really nicely :) It's been replaced with my 1GHz celery briefcase now though, so it's just sitting on top of my cupboard doing nothing lol.

Nice thing about the 133 was it ran passive just fine. Nothing stopped that thing. In fact, because I am just scared of running things passive I had a 92mm fan propped up against the little heatsink (only spare fan I had). One day I got back from College to find that Mum appeared to have knocked the fan over, the blade.... caught the heatsink I assume, fan blade snapped... and it actually ripped the heatsink right off the chip! But it still continued to run fine for the whole time I was out :) It was awesome!

Most of the computers that I might be taking parts from have really small heatsinks, like 10mm tall and something like 50mm diameter fans on top. :huh:

I think I'll be replacing them :blink:

If I remember right the faster computers have Durons do they run cool? or are they hotplates like my Celeron?

If I remember right the faster computers have Durons do they run cool? or are they hotplates like my Celeron?

508669[/snapback]

I have no idea :) My Celeron runs cool, but that's a pre P4 Celeron......