Need Help. Want To Light House Via Led.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I was thinking it might be easier to wire the LEDs then plug them into a transformer. Something like a transformer for a doorbell system. Wire in a switch even a adjustable dimmer switch and there ya go.

i agree with Uber... There is no possible way to get 120 led's to work off of standard 120V 60HZ AC electric. Since they are diodes they only let electric flow one direction. Plus, since leds pulls different amounts of voltage ie. red pulls ~1.7, blue ~ 3.0v, the LED's will be very dim. you would need ~1.7x120, which would be ~200V, plus wire thick enough to carry the amps needed for them. Unless you haev AC LED's, you need to runthem off of DC current.

You need more than a transformer to go from AC->DC, ask a tech teacher at school, they'll know. Tranformer will step the voltage up or down, then you need a diode square to eliminate the bottom portion of the AC spectrum and then you will have DC current. Then you need a capacitor in there to eliminate the voltage from bouncing up and down and you'll basically have made your own AC->DC PSU.

Trust me, I did one through school like 2 months ago.

no not if u run the right resistor an led can last for along time

o have built something like this in my electronics course in highschool it ran off of a 9v ac adapter to a set of resistors and a 3 way switch(on off and pulse) it was kinda cool

A computer PSU that costs like, $30, could easily power 100+ LEDs. I mean, 12volts, means you could have about 6 LEDs in series for the voltage, then run several strings of 6 serial LEDs in Parallel. Say a PSU puts out 25AMPs on the 12Volts line. That means you could run a total of 2,500 LEDs @ 10mA, which is a very safe amperage. Easy as that. I mean, it's so easy, if you gave me the LEDs, I'd do it for you, and even solder on the Molex connector for easy connection to your PSU.