Cooling A Geforce 6800 Ultra

Colt22

i am planning to attach a GPU waterblock to my Geforce 6800 Ultra card, and i was woundering if the ram needs extra cooling such as ram sinks. The stock heatsink cools both the ram and gpu, but since i am watercooling the core i will be removing the heatsinks off the ram because it is all one unit. But since the core is the main source of heat and it will be watercooled, will i need ram sinks on the ram?

also, if i do have to get ram sinks, is there a way of not attaching them permanantly to the ram?

i am planning to attach a GPU waterblock to my Geforce 6800 Ultra card, and i was woundering if the ram needs extra cooling such as ram sinks. The stock heatsink cools both the ram and gpu, but since i am watercooling the core i will be removing the heatsinks off the ram because it is all one unit. But since the core is the main source of heat and it will be watercooled, will i need ram sinks on the ram?

also, if i do have to get ram sinks, is there a way of not attaching them permanantly to the ram?

490982[/snapback]

BFG sinks come with thermal tape that isnt permanant, but doesnt cool as well as epoxy. From what I've heard the stock heatsink does nil for ram cooling anyway, and sometimes actually just gets them hotter. I've seen cases where it wasnt even touching them...just a hot piece of metal a mmm above the chips :lol: . If you're planning on ocing - which you are because of the waterblock anywa(duh) I'd put sinks on anyway, even though they do more for ddr then the newer graphics card ddr chips that run cooler.

well, now that i have finished instaling my waterblock, i was actually able to keep a piece of the origional heatsink that covers the ram, there was just enough clearance for the tubes, and allthough it uses a thermal pad, it looks like its making good contact, but ill do some tests to check, if it gets reasonably warm, ill know its drawing some heat away

:) need not to really worry about those rams getting horribly hot

491128[/snapback]

:withstupid: Volt-modded ddr1 gets real hot, but you shouldt worry too much about heat with those.

I want to water cool my BFG 6800 GT but I'm scurred to take off the stock heatsink cuz it just looks so gnarly. It's basically the entire length of the card, so I assume it cools the RAM as well. Plus I don't want to void my awesome BFG warranty! :)

Well, if you put the stock heatsink back on, they wont be able to tell.....

But back to the main point of this topic, if the heatsink was originally touching the RAM, than yes, it needs ram sinks. And like stated earlier, ram sinks are a must if you plan on overclocking, which I'm pretty sure you are. Instead of epoxy, you could try a less permanent solution by putting a small dot of super glue on two corners (opposite to eachother, in a diagonal line) and then just covering the rest of the ram in thermal paste; it should actually cool better than the epoxy. In fact, you might be able to pull off only using one small dot of glue unstead of 2, but that depends on how heavy the sinks are (copper will need two indefinately).

All ram benefits from cooling. Sure the OC may increase only slightly, or not at all, but stability will always increase and the general lifetime of the component will increase. You gotta protect your 300 dollar investment ;)