Might Be Getting A Linux Box

CheeseMan42

I may be getting an old HP (ugh) for free. It has a 400mhz celeron, 64mb ram, and a 6gb hdd. im just wondering if i would be able to run linux on it? thanks for any help

i dont know very much about linux, but i was running mandrake 7.1 on an AST Pentium 133 with 32mb of ram, oh and it had a 1.5gb hd, before i took it apart and forgot to put it back together... yours should even be able to handle a GUI... not just command line....

It should run fine, you just might want to run a custom install (instead of just clicking on 'desktop' or 'server' button) so you can cut down on the clutter it will install.

If you run a gui, it will be quite slow, but if it runs in just command-line/console mode only, it should be good. If you wanna put some $$ into it, just get more RAM and/or video and/or hdd - any of those will significantly increase it's performance. Well, the hdd is probably a 5400RPM with <1mb cache, so an upgrade there won't net a _huge_ increase in speed, but will increase your usage possibilities.

I'm trying to load linux on an old P2 400mhz I threw together... 192mb ram and a GeForce 3 Ti 300 6 GB HDD.

I tried installing Suse 9.1 and right before I finished installation I keep getting an error. :(

Now I'm downloading the latest version of slackware to see if that works. But 400mhz should be fine if you have enough memory.

you can run commandline "minimal in most distros" easy, but gui will be slow

483527[/snapback]

Wont be that bad if he tries really hard to avoid KDE/Gnome. Something like XFCE, IceWM (my two personal favourites), fluxbox, WindowMaker, Enlightenment.. will run just fine.

with more ram it will run gnome fine, just don't expect much from games. On my athlon XP 2600 with 512 mb of ram and a 5900XT I can run doom 3 perfectly! but you could possible get away with quake2. quake 2 is kinda buggy though....

^^^that machine runs Fedora core 3 with all updates and Drviers.

im not interested in playing games or anything with a linux box. just want to play around with it a little bit. hope to know linux better by the time i go to college in the fall. that and various other advanced computer knowledge

Well i have a linux box, 1700+ 378 or something ram, 10gb partition for it, KDE runs very easily, but i use the command line(s) to run ventrillo and cs servers sometimes when i want to play.

Oh yea, in hungary at my house i also have a pentium 90mhz with like 16mb or 32mb of RAM and a 7 GB HDD, and i ran Redhat 5.0 on it (i found the oldest cds there... lol), even the gui worked! ^_^

My first time installing linux was there, dang i even used fips or w.e to make a new partition, took me a few days to get it right... ^_^

Well almost WHATEVER computer you will use, linux will run on it. remember, its not m$! :D