Yey, Broke 12k!

markiemrboo

It's still way too low for how my card is clocked. Perhaps someone can help me tweak? :P

Card was clocked at 430 on the core and 870 on the memory (DDR1 remember), 6800NU :)

I'm pretty certain I should be scoring higher, but it seems I easily broke the 12k I was aiming for! There's still room if I want to go on a benching only suicide run I guess.. as the core is only at 1.3v and the memory at 2.8v (which is the rated stock speeds according to spec sheet).

lol. Your 05 score is owning mine though. I only got like ~4700 on that, at the same clocks, for some reason :( Which is only a 100 point increase from my highest score before.

wayway was supposed to give me a BIOS for it... it was supposed to up the voltage by 0.1v i think... even that would let me OC a bit more... anyone got any ideas.. i cant get a hold of wayway anymore

theres a BIOS on this page, and a pencil mod on here http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=926&s=1

what kinda pencil is needed for that pencil mod? is there a special pencil that i need? it doesnt say? and i might try flashing this BIOS to that one linked there soon

I used "WinFox" and "NiBiTor" to raise my voltage. Pretty straight forward :P Use WinFox to grab my BIOS off the card and save it, NiBiTor to edit the voltage, and WinFox again to flash the modified BIOS back.

NiBiTor here

http://www.mvktech.net/index.php?option=co...&filecatid=1045

WinFox here

http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/support/down...downline=WinFox

It's not bad. I know I can get 13k out of it, I have a feeling I may need a new CPU to get there though :rolleyes:

Probly gonna have another go later tonight, put some more volts to the memory and see how high that'll go. Also need to solder on a measure point of sorts so I can see if it's voltage fluctuation causing pausing at higher clocks (I have a feeling it's a power issues of sorts).

Think it's safe to try 1.4v with this NV Silencer on it. Temps are around 60-63C load with 1.3v I think... need to be lowere for 1.4v?

It's not bad. I know I can get 13k out of it, I have a feeling I may need a new CPU to get there though :rolleyes:

Probly gonna have another go later tonight, put some more volts to the memory and see how high that'll go. Also need to solder on a measure point of sorts so I can see if it's voltage fluctuation causing pausing at higher clocks (I have a feeling it's a power issues of sorts).

Think it's safe to try 1.4v with this NV Silencer on it. Temps are around 60-63C load with 1.3v I think... need to be lowere for 1.4v?

473651[/snapback]

Congrats markie! That card definatly has more - I'd go for the 1.4v and see how the temps look. Those cards can take a lot of heat so you should be fine. Im pretty sure you took off/bypassesd thermal throttling in nbitor so that should be set, just up the volts, watch the temps, and see what it can do :D. If the score still wont go up much looks like you'll need that venice you were talking about ;)

dang nuts :)

I just noticed that the dang turtles shell was blinking a little bit with white dotty patches. Around 2 or 3 times. Lowered to 425MHz and that went away, although everything is fine except that dang turtle shell in the rest of 03, even at 440MHz core. Perhaps 1.4v will fix that one...

Anyway, 425MHz with 0.1v more is a 100MHz core overclock. It's 30MHz over what I can get at 1.2v...

Still having problems with the RAM though. It still seems to throttle when the RAM is clocked too high and I don't know why. It tries to go to 'low power 3d' mode, if I set the low power 3d clocks the same as performance 3d it still pauses, but the clock speed doesn't go back to 325MHz. Blergh. I guess it's probably power related... but that means my added cap didn't help, so I don't quite know how to fix it :( It's annoying the crap outta me as it doesn't seem to be artifacting even when the RAM is at 900MHz (although it doesn't actually seem to make much difference in performance anyway.....)

• 2 weeks later...
dang nuts :)

I just noticed that the dang turtles shell was blinking a little bit with white dotty patches. Around 2 or 3 times. Lowered to 425MHz and that went away, although everything is fine except that dang turtle shell in the rest of 03, even at 440MHz core. Perhaps 1.4v will fix that one...

Anyway, 425MHz with 0.1v more is a 100MHz core overclock. It's 30MHz over what I can get at 1.2v...

Still having problems with the RAM though. It still seems to throttle when the RAM is clocked too high and I don't know why. It tries to go to 'low power 3d' mode, if I set the low power 3d clocks the same as performance 3d it still pauses, but the clock speed doesn't go back to 325MHz. Blergh. I guess it's probably power related... but that means my added cap didn't help, so I don't quite know how to fix it :( It's annoying the crap outta me as it doesn't seem to be artifacting even when the RAM is at 900MHz (although it doesn't actually seem to make much difference in performance anyway.....)

474148[/snapback]

Thats still a good oc - and dont worry about 2 white spots on a turtles shell when benching :P - you'd probably be fine there for 24/7 use and never notice any artifacts in regular games. I bench my vid cards at where the water looks like its getting snowed on :lol: . Artifacts wont hurt the card for the odd bench run or two, but nvidias are real different then radeons - the radeons will just hardlock when they cant take anymore, you restart, then try again :D - you gotta make sure its not throttling :P. I'd try to push the core a bit more and dont worry about a couple more spots to see how your score increases, then bench again at the same speed with the case sides open or even with a fan next to the case to see if the spots go away to see if its temp related - The higher you push the core the more sensitive they get to heat, so that card may just need to be cooler at that speeds then at lower ones(my card with stock cooling will be 100% stable and artifact free at like 60c when the core is like 400, but at 490-500 it cant go over 50c without hardlocks and serious artifacts.) I know the cards are very different, but all graphics cards are like that with overclocking and temps :) .

lol oh! Isn't that kind of cheating a bit, ignoring any artifacts? :P

I could try a fan next to it... except all I have is a giant ceiling fan * starts detaching the ceiling fan :rolleyes: *

The card is currently idling at 50C and load (ATI tool seems to make the card put out a lot of heat!) is around 61C. The card is reporting ambient temp as 36C when idle, even though my case temperature is 27C according to my fan controller!! Ambient temp under load, from the card, hits around 40C-45C I think.

Well anyway, still haven't figured out why I can't overclock the memory very well. Keeps throttling even though the chips are rated for the speed I am trying :( Stupid card.

It's thundering now, so i'll post this before my house blows up :)

EDIT: If I take my side panel off and point a 120mm fan (low speed and very quiet naturally) at the graphics card, my load temps drop around 2C it seems lol. Thinking about seeing if I can cut a fan hole in my window but... i'd kill myself if I screwed it up :ph34r: