The Gamer Hdd

Encrypted_God

Just get a HDD with NCQ (make sure your mobo can handle it). Don't go with raptors. It is retarded to spend so much money for 36.x gb and 72.x gb. I bought some WD 160gb HDD for $60 (it is pata) and I am happy with it. To me, loading some huge map 1-1.5 seconds faster doesn't justify the cost.

525533[/snapback]

i hear the jurassic raptors are more prone to overheating, dunno if that true. but i am a big fan of mass storage though.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hear the jurassic raptors are more prone to overheating, dunno if that true. but i am a big fan of mass storage though.

525539[/snapback]

:withstupid:

You need good air circulation with those raptors. People even have dedicated fans for them.

Ok..Here we go. I am ready to Raid. Here's what I have for Drives. I have one 36.7 Raptor, One 40G Seagate 7200.7, and one 80G WD Caviar. The Seagate and WD 80G were/are my current Master-Slave in regular setup. I was using the WD 80G as storage, and the Seagate 40G as the Primary). Now my question is how and what would be the best way to get started with the raid. Can I still use the the current setup and raid in the IDE environment? (Probably not, but had to ask.) Should I hook up the Raptor to Sata 1 on the mobo and leave the other two connected as they are? (IDE..Master/Slave) I was reading somewhere in our site here on how to set it up but I can't find it. Your help is needed.

You may want to start looking for an extra hard drive because I have my 36Gb Raptors in Raid0 and those things filled up pretty fast.

Edit: Doh! Seems you have plenty of hard drives. And yeah, you need to have 2 of the same hard drives to raid, or at least to get the full benefit of it.

Edited by CmpFreak88

:withstupid:

You need good air circulation with those raptors. People even have dedicated fans for them.

525574[/snapback]

I never really had any heat or noise problems with my raptors, they just weere not really much faster than drives that cost half as much and were twice as big.

You real;ly dont have a setup worth RAIDing...youll loose space or even loose speed by doing it. now taking say...two 80GB drives (like my seagate and my WD) and even though they ar edifferent you'll get a speed boost, but taking the raptor and pairing it wont help you, but the other setup will cause you to loose alot of the larger drive...

cmpFreak88: you stated that you have the 36.7GB Raptors right? What were your general apps? Cuz' really the only space(or storage) I'll need is for my C.D. Library. Which I ripped onto my 80G WD (which is about 1/2 used up) Could I stil use the 80G WD for the Storage and have two 36.7 Raptors in Raid 0?

You'll need 2 *of the same* SATA drives to do a hardware RAID.

525649[/snapback]

i dunno, i ran my neo2 on a raid-0 config using a 10gig maxtor and a 40gig wd which performanced sucked any ways. then again this was a pata setup.

anyone who thinks scsi is tough to setup has never set it up. raise your hand if you've set up a SCSI system in the last 2 years that was actually designed in the last 2 years... cuz times have changed in SCSI land too. the days of the 50 pin "narrow" SCSI setups are gone. screwing around with an adaptec 2930 or 2940 series card with some old viking or fireball drives isn't what SCSI is about.

sure there's a lot of jumpers on the drives, and there's no master or slave. you have SCSI ID's between 0 and 15. but that just means that you can have 15 drives per channel of the controller. and many of the new controllers will support 'auto' features similar to the good old "cable select" on ATA systems.

then you have 68 pin LVD vs 80 pin SCA and the converters between the two... big deal it's plug and play for that kinda stuff.

then you factor burst rate vs sustained rate. your 10k SATA 150 raptor is no match for a 15k SCSI U320 atlas or baracuda. your little 8 or 16 mb buffers are nothing, SCSI is reaching out with 16 or 32mb per drive and many of the newer and higher end controller cards have dimm slots for additional caches :) I personally add another gig to share between my 2 drives in my main rig (32mb on drive, 512mb on the card so it's 544mb of cache per drive). and how your setup is build into the motherboard with an ATA or SATA setup, I just pull the card out and move it to my next rigt... drive controller drivers don't change since my drive controller went with my drives to the new rig.

Edited by bigred