1st Try Hdd Window Mod

Ive seen/heard of hdd window mods being successful. The only real challenge ive heard about it is you can't get any dust in it when u open it. My opinion I'd like a workin hdd to have a window but I wouldn't like to mod it my self sounds like a pain in the @$$. Btw good luck and happy modding. And to all of the occ admins we need a "Keep Modding" smile.

I've got another in the works right now, the window is smaller and down lower cuz I didn't want to interfere with the breathing chambers that curve around the top of the hub. The shape is about done I think but still need smoothing and finishing. Dust is the biggest enemy and I went too quickly on the last try. Lesson learned I hope...

here's the new shell:

PS: Agree w/Holo, nothing said was taken negatively by me :)

when i saw that^^^^the first thing that came to my mind was Flubber (im sure you've seen the movie) haha i dont know why.. but thats cool.. its like a glob window... get creative

What if you kept a fan running to blow across the surface of the HDD while it's open to keep anything from settling? Think that would help?

467966[/snapback]

I would hav thought that would do more damge than good.

Seeing as it would Draw air (with Dust in it!!) towards the HDD, and then push it into the platers.

With canned air, there's the possibility of residue. Canned air is usually a mix of some sort of hydrocarbons (which compress very easily), not the regular air you breathe. So it may be free of dust, but there's the possibility of leaving a hydrocarbon residue on the platters. There's also the possibility of blowing the dust in the air, at high speed, onto the platters. Of course, then residue is the least of your problems.......